Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Marginal Pair, marginal draw (600NL)

Played this hand at 600NL full ring today. Kinda common spot, I feel like there should be answer and that I should know what it is, but the hand felt awkward.

650ish effective.

Folded to me, I raised 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to $18 in the HJ. Button, who have have at 25/21 over a couple hundred sixmax hands, calls. Vaguely familiar as a good aggro, but I haven't played with him in a while. At this table I've played like 3 or 4 hands over as many orbits and not gone to showdown, so if I have any image it's a tight one.

Flop ($42) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet $30, he calls.

Turn ($102) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, he bets $84, I call.

River ($270) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, he bets $228.

The reasons I'm weirded out by this hand are

a) I can't make up my mind about the best turn line.
b) wtf does he have that beats me, can value bet both turn (that turn in particular) and river, but just calls the flop?

This is diamonds or a float somewhat often, yes? Except diamonds and a float can both have a K.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Marginal Pair, marginal draw (600NL)

meh, yeah.... I don' mind a river call here as my thinking is the same as yours with respect to his range. I have no idea what the best line is here on the turn. Sometimes I'm 3 barrelling here, sometimes I'm stackadonking (probably bad), sometimes I'm c/c like you did.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:15 AM

I find a bet/fold on the turn better than check/calling. Villain wont raisebluff you on the turn very often, and if you are going to call a fairly large bet anyways, why don't make the bet yourself? It might make villain fold, and if not, you know a lot more about his hand. Draws are a large part of his range I believe, so make the bet at least 2/3 pot.

As played I am tempted to fold.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find a bet/fold on the turn better than check/calling. Villain wont raisebluff you on the turn very often, and if you are going to call a fairly large bet anyways, why don't make the bet yourself? It might make villain fold, and if not, you know a lot more about his hand. Draws are a large part of his range I believe, so make the bet at least 2/3 pot.

As played I am tempted to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like bet/fold on the turn b/c if we're going to be putting the money in anyways, why not see another card for the same price when we have such a god draw? What hand do you put him on that you like a river fold?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:30 AM

its a feeling thing on the river. i think you played the turn very well. id probably pot the flop, though.

for what its worth, he needs to bluff 32% to show profit. diamonds missed, so did 8x that you beat (A8, 68) JT and 45 missed. If he's a light value bettor (I kinda cant see how A9 or worse can throw a bet here but who knows) but obv a king does...

I think id call this actually vs most.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:50 AM

[censored] it almost looks like a call since he'd be happy to check behind a lot on this river.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:03 AM

Its possible he has 10 8 isn't it? I'd possibly play it that way.

Seeing as though your image is fairly tight he might put you on a big PP?

So in his eyes just calling the flop isn't a bad idea.