Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Which Countries have military bases where?

In the Iraq bloodbath thread I just noticed a post by iron81 raising the issue of longstanding us military bases in iraq being a likely objectve. I stopped and thought about it for a minute and realized that the us has bases in other countries as well. I have learned this from people in the military (either past or present) who talk about 'being stationed' in countries x,y, or z. Then I wondered what othe countries have military bases across the globe (I have no idea but dont' think any have bases here lol). So I did a quick google and opened a link for this book:

The Arithmetic of America's Military Bases Abroad: What Does It All Add Up to?
By Chalmers Johnson
Mr. Johnson's latest book is The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic (Metropolitan). His previous book, Blowback: The Costs and Consequences of American Empire, has just been updated with a new introduction.

As distinct from other peoples, most Americans do not recognize -- or do not want to recognize -- that the United States dominates the world through its military power. Due to government secrecy, our citizens are often ignorant of the fact that our garrisons encircle the planet. This vast network of American bases on every continent except Antarctica actually constitutes a new form of empire -- an empire of bases with its own geography not likely to be taught in any high school geography class. Without grasping the dimensions of this globe-girdling Baseworld, one can't begin to understand the size and nature of our imperial aspirations or the degree to which a new kind of militarism is undermining our constitutional order.
-----------------------------------------------------------

With all the 'government education' in public schools, this is certainly missing. They 'teach' about previous wars but I don't remember being 'taught' about the military bases all over the globe and why they are there and what the people in other coutries thtink of having them there. And I certanly don' remeber being taught why its good for us to have this when other countries do not.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Which Countries have military bases where?

It is certainly the only country with such a covering network. But the UK and the French also have some bases/soldiers different places abroad, I guess both of them are sort of trying to have a global capability, at least UK. Russia also has bases in quite a few countries in their neighbourhood. Beyond those countries I can't think of many if you exclude those who have practically invaded a neighbour country.

EDIT: Bases far from their main territory is maybe a more accurate description as UK has kept some territories from the British Empire to use for this purpose as has France, i.e. Gibraltar isn't really abroad.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:42 AM

Just off the top of my head, not including overseas possessions of major powers like Gibraltar or areas under occupation. This will be weighted toward the US because that's what I'm most familar with:

US: South Korea, Japan, Germany, England, Italy, Djbouti, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bahrain, Iraq, Diego Garcia, Guantanamo Bay

NATO: Afghanistan, Kosovo, Bosnia

Russia: Georgia, Ukraine, Estonia, probably a couple Central Asian former Soviet Republics

Britain: Iraq, Singapore

Syria: Lebanon (Hezbollah)

It should be noted that in all of these cases except Gitmo that the soldiers are there with the permission of the local government.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be noted that in all of these cases except Gitmo that the soldiers are there with the permission of the local government.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very debateable statement, it comes down to a semantics question maybe. Russian bases in Georgia as one example, the government does not want Russian forces to be there. Neither does Serbia want Nato-forces to be in Kosovo. The same applies for some bases not on your list. If I put a gun to your head and ask for permission and you grant it, I wouldn't call it a permission.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
USA became welcome in Iraq after they demolished the existing government (who definitely didn't want them there) and then created a new government that would support them.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As distinct from other peoples, most Americans do not recognize -- or do not want to recognize -- that the United States dominates the world through its military power. Due to government secrecy, our citizens are often ignorant of the fact that our garrisons encircle the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF? This is as common as knowledge gets. I knew this when I was 12 watching common US movies like Private Benjamin, hearing snippets on the news about frictions in Germany and Japan with US military bases, hearing about Saudi bases during wars such as Desert Storm, and South Korean bases during news on the North. This is extremely common knowledge. I'm genuinely amazed you don't know - you'd have to actively avoid the news, political discussion, and not watch many movies to not know this. And it's not taught in school here either.

[ QUOTE ]
They 'teach' about previous wars but I don't remember being 'taught' about the military bases all over the globe and why they are there and what the people in other coutries thtink of having them there. And I certanly don' remeber being taught why its good for us to have this when other countries do not.

[/ QUOTE ]
American bases actually do a great deal for world security. Having 37,000 heavily armed men stationed in South Korea is a great peacemaker. US bases in Japan provide a protectory role in their post WWII pacifist agreements. Bases in Saudi Arabia helped keep the peace. Bases in Europe greatly strengthen the power of NATO, not as important now but certainly during the cold war. And they're not forced down anyone's throat - if a country asked the US to leave they'd probably get disincentives, but the US would have no choice. But the fact is that people recognize the security value and enjoy the sweeteners the US provides in terms of increased cooperation and trade.

So the picture that blurb paints is rather erroneous.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just off the top of my head, not including overseas possessions of major powers like Gibraltar or areas under occupation. This will be weighted toward the US because that's what I'm most familar with:

US: South Korea, Japan, Germany, England, Italy, Djbouti, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bahrain, Iraq, Diego Garcia, Guantanamo Bay

NATO: Afghanistan, Kosovo, Bosnia

Russia: Georgia, Ukraine, Estonia, probably a couple Central Asian former Soviet Republics

Britain: Iraq, Singapore

Syria: Lebanon (Hezbollah)

[/ QUOTE ]

If Guantanamo bay isn't considered "with permission" wouldnt bases like Gibraltar, and Okinawa be the same way? They are all products of territory claimed after war. Whether or not the current government agrees with the bases is irrelevant. (The Spanish hate the british in Gibralter btw. )

Also, Syria /= Hezbollah and Syria has pulled out of Lebanon as of 2005.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
USA became welcome in Iraq after they demolished the existing government (who definitely didn't want them there) and then created a new government that would support them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, let's assume this is true about Iraq. Now, list all the other countries who want our military bases out of their country. I'm not talking a vocal minority ... they always exist ... I am talking about the ruling government or a majority of the people in the country.

NCAces
Old 04-26-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, let's assume this is true about Iraq. Now, list all the other countries who want our military bases out of their country. I'm not talking a vocal minority ... they always exist ... I am talking about the ruling government or a majority of the people in the country.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where there is a majority, probably some of the gulf countries and Pakistan (is there really a base there [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]) and maybe Afghanistan and Cuba. I am not sure about South Korea. Does anybody have stats on this?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where there is a majority, probably some of the gulf countries and Pakistan (is there really a base there [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]) and maybe Afghanistan and Cuba. I am not sure about South Korea. Does anybody have stats on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not the one debating the statement, you are. Where are your stats that support your contention?

For me, a US citizen, it is commonsensical that if we have military bases in other countries it is at the invitation of, and with the full approval of the country. I am interested why the two Europeans who have responded to this thread immediately jump to the opposite conclusion.

NCAces