Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Handicaps

I've never understood how the handicap system works. Everytime I read something about it online it just seems overly complicated. Is there a simple way to explain how the scores you shoot, the course rating and slope combine and which scores are relevant to a handicap (most recent?)?

Also, what is the best way to establish an official handicap? I get to play golf a lot now (3-4 times per week) and my game is progressing OK but I have no idea what my handicap would be. I play the same course all the time, I'd say my average score is about 87-89. Par 71, rating 71.2 slope 125.

A while ago I downloaded some handicap tracker program that was excel based and it was trying to tell me that my handicap was 14.2, I don't understand how this can be when I rarely shoot a score as low as 85.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Handicaps

I don't know exactly how the rating and slope factors in. But the computer uses your best ten scores of your last twenty to average and come up with your handicap. So your handicap is going to be lower than your average.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:46 AM

The rating is what a scratch golf should average (I think).

The slope has to do with how much tougher the course gets as your handicap goes up. For example, if you were to go out to an easy course and place a pond 220 yards off every tee it wouldn't make much of a difference to a scratch golfer; but it would make it much tougher for an 18 handicap. Such an adjustment to a course would result in the slope going up, rather than the rating.

edit: the idea of slope is that a better golfers edge varies from course to course. I don't know the formula for it though.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:55 AM

Don't worry about slope/rating, thats what the computer is for [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A handicap is this: The strokes comparable to par when you play a GOOD round of golf. NOT AN AVERAGE SCORE.

For ex: a guy says he averages 78 on a par 72 and therefore he is a 6 handicap. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

He should be more like a 3 or 4 because his potentially good rounds on the course fall in the 75-76 range. Not his exceptional rounds.

Why? you ask.

It's because while the handicap system takes your most recent 20 scores in only takes into account the best 10 scores of those 20.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 AM

OK, so how does the handicap system actually handicap a player? Let's say I'm playing a round with one of you low handicap guys. Say you are a 5 and I am a 20. How does the handicap system "even the field"?

If 5 and 20 are too far apart, you can use closer numbers for comparison.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:14 AM

You would get a stroke on the 15 hardest holes. On the card where it lists the "handicap" for the hole, you would get a stroke on 1-15. 1 is the harderst (more or less) and 18 the easiest. Sometimes a full handicap will not be given or players will negotiate further, but the 20 would get about 15 shots in a head to head match.

Also, it is often screwed up in a fourball situation. There is a formula I think, but many people don't adjust in fourball. The good players get robbed and the bad players whine if they don't get a full handicap.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:59 PM

The idea is that a handicap is a measure of a golfer's potential. It is not an average score. It is made so that it is easier to lower your handicap than it is to increase it. It all makes sense in a complicated sort of way. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Yahoo has a free 'handicap tracker.' If you do not want to pay and keep an 'official' handicap. Once you get going don't forget to adjust individual hole scores for the maximum allowed on a hole. As a guess you sound like you might be around a 14 or so.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:30 PM

To reflect "potential" rather than average, the USGA handicap system does a couple of other things besides taking the best 10 out of your last 20 rounds.

First, it factors your best 10 by 96%. This doesn't sound like much, but it can often cost you a stroke.

Second, it takes away "blow up" holes. If you're a single-digit, for instance, you can't take worse than a double-bogey for handicap score. You must post an "adjusted" score that eliminates all those 7s and 8s. I understand why they do this, but it still frustrates me to have to post a score I did not shoot.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To reflect "potential" rather than average, the USGA handicap system does a couple of other things besides taking the best 10 out of your last 20 rounds.

First, it factors your best 10 by 96%. This doesn't sound like much, but it can often cost you a stroke.

Second, it takes away "blow up" holes. If you're a single-digit, for instance, you can't take worse than a double-bogey for handicap score. You must post an "adjusted" score that eliminates all those 7s and 8s. I understand why they do this, but it still frustrates me to have to post a score I did not shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that his is for cheating purposes. Someone cannot have a decent round then post a 20 for their score on the last hole so that their handicap stays the same or goes up.

Say we are playing a match and you beat me 2 and 1. Now we play 18 just for fun and I purposly make a big number so my handicap goes up. Trust me there are people who will do this.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never understood how the handicap system works. Everytime I read something about it online it just seems overly complicated. Is there a simple way to explain how the scores you shoot, the course rating and slope combine and which scores are relevant to a handicap (most recent?)?

Also, what is the best way to establish an official handicap? I get to play golf a lot now (3-4 times per week) and my game is progressing OK but I have no idea what my handicap would be. I play the same course all the time, I'd say my average score is about 87-89. Par 71, rating 71.2 slope 125.

A while ago I downloaded some handicap tracker program that was excel based and it was trying to tell me that my handicap was 14.2, I don't understand how this can be when I rarely shoot a score as low as 85.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just go to the local golf club you play at and ask to start a handicap. It's not more than $50 (that I've heard of) a year and you can use it in any tournament because it is an official USGA Index.

I'll find the formula here in a min. and I'll post it. I have so much handiap [censored] piled up at work I can't find the right book.