Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Our Borders?

I'm not knowledgeable on this subject, so I'm making this post in an effort to both learn more and gauge your opinions.

What is wrong with putting up a big ass wall on the Mexican border?

Not necessarily a small fence over certain area's, but I mean a wall. We are in the 21st century, and the Chinese did a hell of a job 2200 years ago. Then we could supplant that wall with border outposts, infrared, laser sensors.

The threat of terrorists coming across the border, is that real or just anti-immigration propaganda?

I myself cannot contend why it wouldn't be a threat, but that's why I'm asking. If several million Mexicans can make it across each year, I'm sure a few disgruntled troublemakers with the innate knowledge of explosives can do it as well.

So...a big ass wall? What's so bad about it?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Our Borders?

What's so bad about it? It solves a problem that too many interests don't want solved.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 AM

I'm reading this article and it states that they think it would cost 'too much'. For a fence it would be like $850 million, and up to $2 billion for a wall.

We spend $1 trillion a year on defense.
And we can't cough up that small of an amount for a permanent fix to a growing problem?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The threat of terrorists coming across the border, is that real or just anti-immigration propaganda?

I myself cannot contend why it wouldn't be a threat, but that's why I'm asking. If several million Mexicans can make it across each year, I'm sure a few disgruntled troublemakers with the innate knowledge of explosives can do it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a wall on the mexican border going to prevent terrorists from coming if they are determined to come? I say no, it is not.

So step 2 is to build a giant wall at the Canadian border.

OK, so now we have our walls. Despite the walls, how many humans travel from mexico and canada through 'approved of' means each day? Thousands or Tens of thousands, EACH DAY?
What is your plan to prevent someone who wants to build a bomb or whatever from coming across through the 'approved of' channels?

And in any event, things get smuggled across in trucks and cars, it will still be possible to smuggle humans. Not every car, truck, and van is searched. This would be impossible. Just like it is impossilbe to investigate each and every person walking across the mexican/us border.

It is propaganda. It's pretty obvious it is not a pragmatic stragety to 'stop terrorism'.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a wall on the mexican border going to prevent terrorists from coming if they are determined to come? I say no, it is not.

OK, so now we have our walls. Despite the walls, how many humans travel from mexico and canada through 'approved of' means each day? Thousands or Tens of thousands, EACH DAY?
What is your plan to prevent someone who wants to build a bomb or whatever from coming across through the 'approved of' channels?

And in any event, things get smuggled across in trucks and cars, it will still be possible to smuggle humans. Not every car, truck, and van is searched. This would be impossible. Just like it is impossilbe to investigate each and every person walking across the mexican/us border.

It is propaganda. It's pretty obvious it is not a pragmatic stragety to 'stop terrorism'.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would at least force immigrants to buy a vehicle to be able to traverse the checkpoints.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would at least force immigrants to buy a vehicle to be able to traverse the checkpoints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it wouldn't, they would just have to get in someone elses car. But that's not the point. The point is that the idea this is about 'terrorism' is absurd and foolish. Politicans and political commentators are feeding your a line of crap when they say that terrorism has anything to do with it.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:17 AM

Old 04-23-2007, 06:23 AM

If people really want in bad enough there isn't anything that will stop them. A wall is pointless. Look at how many cubans live in the US. There was a lot more than a wall to stop them.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If people really want in bad enough there isn't anything that will stop them. A wall is pointless. Look at how many cubans live in the US. There was a lot more than a wall to stop them.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can always hide in one of the boatloads or planeloads of drugs brought into the country each day lol
Old 04-23-2007, 07:32 AM

This might likely devastate the economy of Tijuana.