Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Backup Internet Connection

First of all I'm not sure if this is in the right forum so if its not, feel free to move it, thanks. That being said, this is just an open question to anyone and everybody: I currently have high speed internet which works fine except sometimes it goes out on me and doesn't come back for an hour or longer. If I played cash games thats not a problem but I multi table sngs so if it goes out once I can lose a decent chunk of my bankroll (even playing within my roll).

I'm trying to figure out (because I'm going to be playing 40 hours a week) a backup plan for if I get disconnected. Currently I'm on atlantic broadband. Should I just get another internet service as well like comcast or something or are there other options? Ive heard something about cards that have the internet on the them? I'm not much for technology so I have no idea. I allready have a wireless card and all the signals I pick up are locked so thats not an option.

Thanks, really appreciate any responses because I need to get this in the next few days.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Backup Internet Connection

One thing you could do is find a phone dial up ISP provider. It is usually really cheap, like $9 or $10 a month. When your cable goes out, plug your phone jack into your computer and do dial up, to see you thru the short period your cable internet is out.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing you could do is find a phone dial up ISP provider. It is usually really cheap, like $9 or $10 a month. When your cable goes out, plug your phone jack into your computer and do dial up, to see you thru the short period your cable internet is out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used this until I got Vonage. I never realized you can't connect to dialup using VOIP (why would you). Just a word of warning if you don't know this already.

Now when my cable goes down, I get pissed off. That's about the only thing I know to do about it.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:22 AM

I've considered this question as well - I mainly play MTTs, meaning it's even more crucial that the connection is live and well. I'd go on a killing spree if my connection went down last Sunday e.g., being deep in three big MTTs (thinly veiled brag obv).

In Norway, there's an operator who delivers wireless internet through the old CDMA 2000 net (the old cell phone net) - looks like e.g. Verizon Wireless offers this service in the US. If you're much of a winning player, it's worth checking out.