Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pop it or Drop it?
Pop it 11 91.67%
Drop it 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Golf on TV Poles

I'm a bit of a golf on TV junkie, particularly when I'm in fantasy leagues. Some of the questions below may be a bit excessive for people who don't watch much TV golf, so just ignore those where applicable.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Golf on TV Poles

Miller/Faldo is tough but I chose Faldo. I love Miller's willingness to say anything, but Faldo is just more interesting.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:12 PM

Not that anyone cares, but I watch most weeks, sometimes take a week off for particularly weak fields like the one that just happened. The FedEx Cup thing will probably kill any interest I have in fall golf outside of the President's Cup, whereas I used to watch clear up until the Tour Championship.

I prefer Johnny Miller because his comments are so candid sometimes it's like he has Tourette's. Plus at times I've found Faldo to be hard to understand. Hicks probably gets my nod because Nantz is mega hung up on cliches, always going for the perfect sound bite. Hicks just does what he has to do and stays out of the way for the most part.

As for the analysts, gotta go with the avuncular Lundquist, and then Koch, Kostis, and Maltbie, although to be fair I pretty much like them all a lot except for McCord, who bugs the hell out of me.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
except for McCord, who bugs the hell out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So many people hate McCord with a passion, I never understood why. I didn't vote for him here, but I think he's a good commentator and occasionally funny.

I'm glad Clampett hasn't gotten any votes. He literally puts me to sleep. And the things he says about course management and technique are just strange and don't make sense.

I voted NBC overall, but Nantz over Hicks. Hicks seems so forced and phony. I get the feeling he doesn't really care about golf. He seems like more of a game show host than sports announcer.

It's too bad Mike Tirico doesn't do golf anymore. He was very organized and always knew what was going on. He never got overdramatic or used stupid cliches. He asked Curtis Strange good questions, unfortunately, Strange was a total bonehead who never had good answers.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 PM

Ron,

McCord just bugs. Actually, a friend of mine who likes him has done a good job over the years of tempering my McCord hate quite a bit. I just think he spends too much time trying to be cute/funny and too little providing thoughtful analysis. In other words, I wish he toned it down about 70%.

I almost included Tirico in the pole, but since he may not be doing anything other than the British anymore, it wouldn't make sense. There's another guy with some pretty incredible range across many sports. Still cracks me up that he was the sleazy element in the book about ESPN.

As for Clampett, I really like him, he's just not my favorite. I've heard complaints along the lines of yours plenty of times though...

EDIT: I'd gladly accept McCord's return to the Masters if we could also get Ben Wright back as well.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:35 PM

Miller is retarded
Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 PM

Miller is retarded without a doubt, he never knows when to shut up and doesn't think before he talks.

I love golf, but to be honest Tiger is just more interesting to watch than anyone else he has more shots and more game, now I can't really be bothered to watch unless he is in contention on the weekend.

Also NBCs HD coverage stinks, only about 1/2 the cameras they use are HD and it sucks going from crystal clear pictures to just fuzzy trash, either go all the way (ala CBS) or stay in your low def world!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:22 AM

surprised to see johnny miller get even some love here, since most of the time when i read about golf on television, people hate him. he is my favorite. he has made some great observations about the competitive situation at various times in tiger's career (for example, actually said tiger was in a slump when he was in a slump), and unique comments about other ideas too, such as how to teach golf to your children.

faldo is great too actually. the masters was such a huge improvement this year compared to lanny.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also NBCs HD coverage stinks, only about 1/2 the cameras they use are HD and it sucks going from crystal clear pictures to just fuzzy trash, either go all the way (ala CBS) or stay in your low def world!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely what I based my vote on. NBC should be embarrassed.