Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 02:50 PM

Default After One Year, I\'ve Lost Some of My Enthusiasm for Poker

Has anyone else been losing their enthusiasm for either the game of poker or watching televised poker?

I feel a lack of excitement with the game and don't know why...TV poker is everywhere, yet I do not find it must-see TV as I did when the WPT first came out. Although I still enjoy playing the game, I'm finding that my former poker friends have moved on or have played much less, thereby making it less enjoyable for myself.

Does anyone else have these feelings of playing and/or watching TV poker?

-TheMan
Old 04-26-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: After One Year, I\'ve Lost Some of My Enthusiasm for Poker

I dont feel a change in playing poker, but I agree in watching. I have not watched an entire episode of the WPT on TV this year. Not sure what the true reasoning for that is, but one of things that I dont like is when it gets close to the top of the hour watching the WPT, I can figure out who is going to win based on who has the biggest stack. It takes away from the excitment of not knowing when the final hand is played and who will win.

In other words. If it is 8:40 and its heads up, I know to just turn it back on at 8:55 to see the last hand, but know the outcome before it is dealt.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont feel a change in playing poker, but I agree in watching. I have not watched an entire episode of the WPT on TV this year. Not sure what the true reasoning for that is, but one of things that I dont like is when it gets close to the top of the hour watching the WPT, I can figure out who is going to win based on who has the biggest stack. It takes away from the excitment of not knowing when the final hand is played and who will win.

In other words. If it is 8:40 and its heads up, I know to just turn it back on at 8:55 to see the last hand, but know the outcome before it is dealt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 80% of the time that's what happens. Big stack pushes around small stack and wins the all-in wars of a final table. ...But that's one of many reasons for me...I don't completely mind that if there has been good poker prior to that during the early stages of the final table. It's expected for it to be an all-in fest towards the end.

For me, it's something more...kind of what you said...there's just something missing (maybe the novelty?). Poker is everywhere now, but I don't crave it anymore. I would rather watch a movie or read a good book or just go out and meet people and do other stuff, etc.

I used to love the game so much and play and watch religiously. Now it's like an afterthought. When playing I still love it only because I'm a competitive person, but otherwise I could just as easily be playing another sport.

One game I'd love to see is high stakes no-limit Razz cash games...I think it'd be super fun.

-TheMan
Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont feel a change in playing poker, but I agree in watching. I have not watched an entire episode of the WPT on TV this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:06 PM

Also, this may be my final thread post on this forum. Life is too short to be focused on just poker!

-TheMan
Old 04-26-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont feel a change in playing poker, but I agree in watching. I have not watched an entire episode of the WPT on TV the last three years .

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-26-2007, 05:16 PM

I don't feel that way at all. I still love watching it, and love playing it even more.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:41 PM

most of the time i can't stand ESPN. F Degree Antipersperants and their All-In moments... just brainless coin flipping against dead money small stacks.

PAD on the 1st 3 days seems to be the only interesting thing around lately.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:49 PM

I think the PPT had a good idea. Showing more than just a final table and providing early level play was cool. But something about the presentation made it seem cheap, I don't know how to explain it any other way. Personally I think the fact that poker is everywhere on TV now weakens the overall product. As opposed to a year ago, I now know that I can catch poker on mojo HD at least 6 times a day, with ESPN showing reruns of either the WSOP main event or US poker championship every hour thruout the day plus 3 hours of HSP on monday nights and WPT twice a week. Not to mention the PokerDome challenge. It was more of a treat when it was a once or twice a week kinda thing.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:47 PM

There is too much poker on tv and there are so many different shows of low quality that it isn't the same as it was when you would only catch the WSOP or WPT. We don't even show poker on the tv's where I deal anymore because it is all the same and players don't care to watch. The only thing that too much poker on tv does for regulars is give us a fresh supply of straight chasers and bottom pair callers to help us pad our stacks.

The big draws for poker originally were
- Viewers wanting to improve their game
- Viewers questioning actions seen by the pros and saying they could do better

I think many of the serious players realize that seeing such a small fraction of a tournament doesn't do anything to help their game. I also see fewer players question what the pros do during a hand because they all would play it the same.

The only thing I can see that would improve this situation is if other games were shown more frequently (I have seen WSOP Omaha one time) or they did long term play analysis of a player (over several blind levels) and not just analysis of each hand.

Dan's 2 cents