Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 07:07 AM

Default Microgaming\'s miscarriage? ($1400 tourney cancelled w/o refund)

Dear all,

This is my very first post in this forum and I'm rather sad it has to be a negative one.

Yesterday, Microgaming (former Prima Poker) held a $1400 buy-in final satellite to WSOP. As the tourney started, we all realized there's some sort of a problem with the blind structure - levels were 10 minutes instead of 20 (tourney description said 20), resulting in a $1400 crapshoot. Obviously, lots of people emailed the support right away and the tourney was cancelled before the first break. Few hours later, players got the following email:

----
Please note that the WSOP Multi Event Final (tournament ID: 773434) was canceled earlier this evening due to discrepancies with regards to the blind structure. The tournament was canceled with refunds, and will be rescheduled for next Sunday.
Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences caused, and please feel free to contact your technical manager should you have any further queries in this regard.

Kind regards
Microgaming Support Services
----

Everything seemed very OK, except the fact that no money was credited back to my account. As I sent an inquiry to the support, they told me that all players will automatically be entered to the replacement event and they actually don't give any refunds in cash. It might work for most of the players (and certainly for Microgaming, since they don't lose any tournament fees), but unfortunately I already have some plans for next Sunday, thus I'm unable to play the replacement tourney. Now in my opinion, it's clearly a Microgaming's own mistake and they can't expect that 84 people are able play at the time _they_ dictate.

What do you guys think about it?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Microgaming\'s miscarriage ($1400 tourney cancelled w/o refund)

Yikes, that sounds like BS. hard to imagine they expect people to play on the time they dictact.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:11 AM

Could there be an accidental misinterpretation here?

I would think that the site through which you paid your $1400 would refund you, not Microgaming.

Isn't there a Register/Unregister button there? Have you written to the site's Support to make your very valid and reasonable case for a refund?

Please post a copy of the site's response to your direct request for a refund.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:31 AM

Just to clarify - the cause of the problem is the fact, that I didn't buy in directly to this tournament, but qualified from a satellite.

[ QUOTE ]
I would think that the site through which you paid your $1400 would refund you, not Microgaming.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, my bad. Needless to say, of course I was talking about a poker site (Triobet, in my case), not the network itself.

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there a Register/Unregister button there? Have you written to the site's Support to make your very valid and reasonable case for a refund?

[/ QUOTE ]
The new tournament hasn't appeared in the list yet, thus i don't know if there will be an option to unregister.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately it's all in Estonian, thus none of you would understand it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
However, here's a short summary:

Me: Hi! I'm interested in how exactly do you plan to compensate the buy-in? Will it be transferred to my poker account (if yes, then when?) or am I forced to play the replacement tournament next Sunday? The last option would definitely be very unpleasant for me, as I'm planning to be out of town on May 13th and playing at this time would be absolutely impossible for me.

Triobet's Poker Manager: Hi Janar! As far as I understand, the buy-in will be credited to your poker account or in case you have won the ticket from a satellite, you will be automatically placed in the list of the replacement tournament. Unfortunately I don't have any closer information at the moment.

After that, I explained my problem again and asked them to provide me some more exact information. They told me they'd contact Microgaming about it and let me know of their opinion on the matter.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:54 AM

Why do so many people have a roll of film for their avatars?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 AM

It seems to be the default avatar ..
Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do so many people have a roll of film for their avatars?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my studies of the other threads asking this question my conclusion is that it's one of the great unanswered mysteries of the internets.

Of course, one answer could be the question, "Why do some people have dancing sugarlumps as their avatars?"
Old 05-07-2007, 10:23 AM

Sorry to hear that Janar, but the fact that you didn't buy in to the sat, but rather got in thru a sub-qualifier changes things substantially. I can't say I disagree with their decision; in fact, support even wrote to you saying that HAD you bought in with cash, you would have received a refund. But you didn't...you "bought" in with an 'entry chip' from a sub-qualifier. Yes, they screwed up with the blind structure and had to cancel the tourney...it would have been NICE if they had 'apologized' by letting the subqualifiers just get cash back, but I can't say they were obligated to do so.

Another acceptable solution would seem to be if they could somehow credit you with 1,400 in "tournament dollars"...but i don't know if prima has anything like that. It's kind of like going to a Walmart to return something without a receipt...you'll prob just get "store credit", not cash. The more i think about it, they really should just give you $1,400 b/c of their goof...but the title of your post (and your OP) are a bit misleading.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hear that Janar, but the fact that you didn't buy in to the sat, but rather got in thru a sub-qualifier changes things substantially. I can't say I disagree with their decision; in fact, support even wrote to you saying that HAD you bought in with cash, you would have received a refund. But you didn't...you "bought" in with an 'entry chip' from a sub-qualifier. Yes, they screwed up with the blind structure and had to cancel the tourney...it would have been NICE if they had 'apologized' by letting the subqualifiers just get cash back, but I can't say they were obligated to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Canceling a tourney and not refunding satellite qualifiers is just plain old robbery. DUCY?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately it's all in Estonian, thus none of you would understand it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i would