Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Quick ruling help

Home cash game, friendly, everyones a bit mashed; player A whose house it is has to get up to answer the door; I as dealer (not on BTN but dealing) tell him its his action as hes walking out he announces raise to 1.5 on the flop (blinds are 0.05/0.10 with a straddle so 0.05/0.10/0.20) I then notice ist not his action the button has been moved half way and hes actually last to act; it checks round and player B bets 2; actions now back to Player A....... (he's still not in the room)

My ruling (to compare); I said because the action wasn't to him for the expected amount he had the option of rethinking his play; if it had been checked to him I would have put in the raise but with the raise before him and the mistake not being down to him, he wasn't forced to raise.
At this point Player B wasn't too happy as he seemed to want to get the money in on the flop. What's the correct ruling/ was what I did ok/unfair/bastard etc

ALSO another quick question;

How do people handle seating arrangements for cash; setup - 8/9 seat game from 9 to 6 players; do people just sit where they want? do you draw cards like a tournie to get starting seats and work from there or what? First thought it would seem like a free for all sit where you want but it seems unfair that you can choose who you sit on the left of; in our game especially there are 4/5 players out of the 9 who i'm pretty sure even whilst making light of the fact; they would be looking to sit on the left of specific people; how do you handle this?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Quick ruling help

I think the $1.50 should be committed by the host as long as it remains a legal play. What did Player B raise to? If it was more than $0.75, and the raise to $1.50 is no longer valid than wait for the host to get back and make his decision then.

The reason I say that, is that Player B knew the host was raising to $1.50, yet he put money in anyway, knowing that the host was taking it to $1.50.

If you give the decision back to the host, he now has extra information about Player B that he shouldn't: that Player B is willing to put in a raise knowing that the $1.50 is coming later. You have to hold the host to the $1.50 IMO.

As far as cash game seating, it really doesn't matter. If there is bickering about who's to the right/left of whom, just do cards at the begining to make it easier.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:03 PM

the reasoning for making a ruling I would look at in this situation:
1) everybody's mashed
2) player A was told it was his move, then had to go do "host" duties. He should be granted some leeway when in the middle of banking, giving directions out, answering doors, etc.
3) Player B made a play that sounds like he is trying to take advantage of the distracted and misinformed host.

Therefore I would rule that it is $2 to player A when he arrives, Player B's move stands as the current action. Player A can call, raise, or fold.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:52 PM

You are right, the original raise out of turn can be pulled back, regardless of whether it was your fault or not.

As for Player B being upset, he could have just checked and it would be guaranteed that action would come back to him. If someone bet after player B, player A would take his raise back and reconsider. If it was checked to player A, his raise would stand. So in either case, player B would be guaranteed to act again and re-raise if he wants. Tell player B to learn the rules.

As for seating, we use first come, first served.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:32 PM

Player A's original bet is not binding due to Player B raising more. Player A has 3 options open to him when it is his actual turn - fold, call or raise.

As for seating. I typically let players choose their seats upon arriving. If there's a problem with players jockying for seats, like player A sits to the left of player B and then player c comes in, grabs a chair and tries to squeeze between them, then I'd go to drawing for seats
Old 07-27-2007, 02:43 PM

I didn't see that Player B raised ahead of host to $2. But the great part is that my original ruling is still correct.

Now that the hosts raise to $1.50 is not even legal, just wait for him to come back from his "hosting duties" and let him make his own play.

HUGE KITN for Player B trying to pull an angle on the host. Seriously, I'm becoming infuriated just thinking about it and it was just for $1.50. Man, I'd just give the guy his buy-in back and throw him out of my game. If he needs the $1.50 that badly, he shouldn't be playing.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the great part is that my original ruling is still correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. Weren't there a lot of threads about this recently?

Action had most definitely changed when it got to the Host. Even if it was a .75 bet, he still gets to rethink. On top of that, this is a home game, and more than anywhere else we should all be looking to the spirit of the game rather than holding fast and tight to a rulset intended to prevent angle shooting. But regardless, Host is able to pull his bet back, even following the rules.

Regarding seating... well, of COURSE you get to pick where you sit. That's the magic of showing up early enough to choose, but late enough to have good options. Me, I enjoy the different strategies needed based on who is sitting where, so I don't care. Also, I'm the host and the first person there, so I don't get a choice.

The real moaning can come up when enough show up for two tables. We squeeze 9 into my octagonal table, but when #10 shows up, we split to two tables of five. The default rule now is that the later arrivals move, so nobody can gripe about it (also incentive to show up early to get a seat on the nicest table). When new arrivals come after we've split, existing players are given options of moving, and new people are seated to keep balance.

For tourneys, we draw.