Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 02:56 AM

Default 600NL River Bluff

Hey guys. I'm a new member obviously. I've been reading 2+2 for awhile but have been too lazy/too irrational about people finding out my sn that I never created an account until now. One of the main people I discuss hands with happens to be a stupid hippie and decided he wanted to spend the next 3 months traveling in Central America. I probably should have done it long ago but figured now was as good a time as any to make an account and get some feedback from a larger audience. FWIW I usually play 1/2-5/10 FR with the vast majority of my play at 2/4 and 3/6. I play on several different sites but lately I've been playing a lot on Stars.

The villian in this hand was on every 3/6 table I had open. I hadn't played with him in previous sessions but from some of the table talk I got the impression that he is a regular at these stakes. I only had 340 hands on him at the time and he was ~16/9. As far as villian knows, I'm 14/10 and my TAF is only 1.79. My general impression is that he is a pretty solid, albeit straight forward player. Up until this point we hadn't really tangled in any significant pots. I haven't seen him get out of line against anyone else and if he has been paying attention he'd know that I haven't either. I have never seen him donk the river like this before and the bet was made fairly quickly.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

MP2 ($651)
Hero ($731)
CO ($558.65)
Button ($916.65)
SB ($639)
BB ($733.90)
UTG ($124.30)
UTG+1 ($888.80)
MP1 ($193.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9, T.
[color=#666666]4 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $22</font>, [color=#666666]3 folds</font>, BB calls $16.

Flop: ($47) K, 5, 6 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
BB checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets $36</font>, BB calls $36.

Turn: ($119) A [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
BB checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets $82</font>, BB calls $82.

River: ($283) T [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]BB bets $160</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $591</font>
Old 04-19-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Re: 600NL River Bluff

I don't like this though it is higher than I play. What are you repping here and what range do you assign the villain?

I don't mind the turn 2nd barrell but I would fold river.

Also; set the converter to 2+2.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:44 AM

Do you usually open-raise T9o from hijack or was this just to mix it up?

I'm done with it after he calls the flop bet. The rest is just spewing.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:12 AM

i kinda like this. Definitely don't automatically do this though, you can't play back at every blocking bet.

I think he folds even two pair here. The only think i'd have done different is maybe raising to 450-500. It looks stronger and you risk less. You look like a retard, but you can fold to a push since you have absolutely nothing.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:08 AM

turn bet is standard, river i like esp given timing and bet-size
Old 04-19-2007, 01:32 PM

Sorry about the converter. Noted for next time.

I assume villain 3-bets AA, KK or AK the vast majority of the time. The hands I'm worried about about are a set of 5's, 6's, and to a lesser extent 56 and KT. I'm obviously not going to push him off a set but I just didn't feel he had one. Since the board is so dry he might have been giving me some rope to hang myself but I really didn't think villain was that tricky. To his knowledge I've never 3-barreled like this either. Basically I don't think he was trying to induce a bluff.

I don't think he often takes a check-call, check-call, bet line with a set. Generally speaking, straight forward TAG players usually will either lead out on the flop, particularly if it contains some paint, or they opt for the check-raise.

I figured he most likely had something like KQ, KJ and he was making a blocking bet on the river. I think you can pretty much discount that he was bluffing. It's also important to note that the most likely two pair hands in his range don't include an ace. With anything less than a set he isn't beating any hands I'd be raising for value and given my line I think it's believable that I could be. He isn't getting particularly great odds on a call (1.4:1) and I don't think we had enough history for him to seriously consider I was bluffing. I basically have to put him squarely on a set of 5's or 6's to not raise the river.

As for raising with T9o from HJ, if I'm on a tight table I'll sometimes open with hands like this provided that I have a good image. Since CO and button raises are so predicatable I've found that occasionally opening with hands like this from MP2-HJ can be effective in such a scenario. If there was a short stack or particularly tricky player behind me I would've folded it.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like this though it is higher than I play. What are you repping here and what range do you assign the villain?

I don't mind the turn 2nd barrell but I would fold river.

Also; set the converter to 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

repping? He could have AAA, KKK or any other strong hand very easily, I mean he raised PF, bet the flop, bet the turn and then raised allin on the river, never showed any weakness at all.

Anyway sometimes I'd do this, depends how I felt.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:42 PM

This type of bluff is something I rarely try. I tend to play a low variance style of play and bluff less than what is optimal. However I mostly play 1/2 where bluffing is not going to work as often as it would at higher stakes. This is probably a leak of mine that I need to work on to be able to move up. Looking at this hand and the way it was played looks like a good spot for a bluff to me though.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This type of bluff is something I rarely try. I tend to play a low variance style of play and bluff less than what is optimal. However I mostly play 1/2 where bluffing is not going to work as often as it would at higher stakes. This is probably a leak of mine that I need to work on to be able to move up. Looking at this hand and the way it was played looks like a good spot for a bluff to me though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah against random opponent at 1-2 its very dangerous to bluff, they could easily have 2 pair and likely won't fold it.

I usually don't run big bluffs on unknowns, but ok I know I've made moves almost exactly like this before....with mixed results [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Hmm yea to me his bet looks like a blocking bet, and I think this is one of the few spots that ur bluff is goot. I'm very interested in seeing the results of this hand.