Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 07:00 PM

Default When?

How will i know when i've "beaten" a certain bracket and am ready to move up? (aside from BR status)
Old 04-20-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: When?

Check you results (ie using Poker Tracker / Office, etc) over a large sample size (say 50K hands minimum)
Old 04-20-2007, 07:07 PM

with 300 on Pstars what stakes should i play and grind out to see my stats? ps i have tracker and hud.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:19 PM

Are you interested in playing limit or no limit? I'm assuming it's hold'em you want to play. Also what is your level of experience?
Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 PM

I want to play NL HE to build a role and learn more advanced strat with omaha hi/lo and stud.

I've played poker for a few years got into it online and busted a few times being a donk. REad a few books got a mentor and then he left. I played TAG usually, played in small/micro stakes on Stars. If that helps?
Old 04-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Plenty of suggested bankroll limits are available in the bankroll sections of the FAQS in various forums. They are different for limit and no limit and are different for full ring versus six max. A crucial factor is whether your bankroll is readily replacable or whther it is not.

Those are computed based on a winning players likelood to experience variance and to what possible degree. No "bankroll" amount will insulate a losing player so the first thing to do is verify for yourself that you play at a winning level. If you don't then put in the study time and playing time at very low limits to cross that threshhold.

Another issue is your goals and obectives. What do you expect to gain from playing poker? Is it a hobby? How important is the money? etc?

IMO you should know in your mind that you are a winning player over many thousands of hands before you start to consider moving up. With $300 in the bankroll play .10/.20 or something like that for 25k hands or so. Don't rush yourself. Establish your base both in bankroll and confidence before you extend yourself.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:33 PM

Thanks for your words of wisdom. My weakest point is thinking that i'm a better player than people in low stakes so i poped it up and then it wasn't pretty. It's a hobby but i'd love to turn it into a job someday, probably to pay off college. My long term goals are to be a profitable player at whatever stakes i am comfortable and maybe play the WSOP in any event (HORSE, Omaha H/L) someday. Lotta dreams, my friend.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:51 PM

I am a very conservative player. I don't like to gamble with my own money. Never have. So I don't. Over 80k hands or so i have an established win rate of about 2BB/hundred hands at limit holdem. I also play low stakes SnG's with a 24% ROI. I have withdrawn all of my original stake and now have only winnings on deposit. I still play at low limits because as long as I win my bankroll grows. Lots of .10/.20 lots of .25/.50 lots 3.40 and 5.50 SnG's. Never higher than .50/1.00 cash or $11 SnG's. By the way I find plenty of challenging players and games at those levels.

I think patience is important at the table and even more important at bankroll management. People call me nit, rock, etc. Thats OK they paid a small fee for the privilege.

Patience. Play in the WSOP when you can pay your entry fee from winnings. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]