Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 08:46 AM

Default I couldn\'t play worse if I tried

75/150 that's like 7 handed. Game is "terrible" by my standards for a live game. There is only one completely retarded fish, the rest of the people are all pretty tight. A couple unknowns, a bunch that are really honestly horrible but their tightness saves them from incinerating their money at rapid speed. It's honestly a fine game, but I'm taking a "shot" so I'd prefer the game to be super juicy. This means I plan to move to a 40 as soon as I play my free hands. Villain in this hand is the only other person at the table worth trying to put on a thought. He's not a remarkable hand reader and he doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but unlike most people he also isn't a retard and does most somewhat well. I've never seen him steam, he value bets fairly well, he doesn't coldcall raises very often and when he does it's with a pretty narrow range, this is only in a full game. This is the first time I've played 75 with him, we've played a lot of 40 and I am pretty sure he thinks I am tough to play against. I don't know if he thinks I'm "good" but he probably gives me more respect than I deserve, maybe because he hasn't caught me in the cookie jar against him before this hand. As far as image goes, nothing particularly exciting has happened. I've picked up a couple pots on the turn and I've folded to turn raise/checkraises twice as well, I can't be winning or losing more than a couple bets.

Fold to me on button and I open J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain 3bets in sb and bb folds.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets, I raise, villain calls. Not a good sign, I have done this quite a few times against him before (usually with an actual draw of some sort, but the way this game is playing I felt like I could be more ambitious than normal) successfully and most the times it works he just folds flop. I've still won with turn bets before, but the majority of times I win here is when he folds flop.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain checks

So I was obviously going to try again on the turn, but now I picked up a zillion outs so I can easily be punished by a c/r. Even the J gives us some outs, though that one definitely has to be discounted a bit.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Re: I couldn\'t play worse if I tried

bet the turn! you can and will get the fold from a hand like TT or whatever plenty here.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:53 PM

Yeah if anything, that turn is more of a reason to bet. Plan on firing river in most instances; he might be getting stubborn with JT, JQ, TQ, and you can get him to muck the best hand if you miss.

I'd give up the flop usually unless the reraiser is so maniacal that he'll just run over you if you fold in these spots most of the time. Given your description and that you're leaving soon, I'd definitely give it up given the flop.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

I dunno, I'd bet and given everything you've described this might be a time to quickly 3bet if he checkraises.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:05 PM

Who was it? Fold the flop I mean come on, you are taking a shot, no need for this. Sometimes when taking a shot or playing a bigger game people feel the need to "fit in" or look like they are "fearless" and make dumb moves all the time.

-DeathDonkey
Old 04-21-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who was it? Fold the flop I mean come on, you are taking a shot, no need for this. Sometimes when taking a shot or playing a bigger game people feel the need to "fit in" or look like they are "fearless" and make dumb moves all the time.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. In this hand you tried to steal the blinds with a junk hand, got 3-bet by a solid player and totally whiffed the flop. So in a pot of 2BBs, you decide to raise?

Anyway you admitted you played bad the first two streets, but the turn was the best card in the deck for you. Bet it because he only has to fold 30% of the time for it to be immediately correct, and the times he calls you have 12 outs to hit on the river.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

I didn't even look at the flop action. Dear god fold the flop.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

DD You are dead on with this,

A few months back I took a shot at the 100 at commerce. Two hours in I take a break stuck 4k and think wtf am I doing.

I was a being a maniac lag, semi bluff turn raising gut shots 3 betting low suited connectors from the late preflop and the worse in two hours I could recall bluff raising the river 3 times in terrible spots where a call was guaranteed.

I went back with a clear head played much better, got unstuck and left embarrassed.

I guess I wanted it to not look like I was taking a shot
---------

The hand, I would bet the turn
Old 04-21-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually play this bad no matter what I'm playing and did a similar thing later on against mike l in the 40 that resulted in me value bluffing with A2. Obviously I just fold here like almost always on the flop but I felt like I could get away with it way more often because everyone seemed content to sit around chopping and folding all night. Villain was Michael.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:15 PM

A general comment about the type of game you desire when moving up: you are better off in the game with some tight players that are somewhat weak than you would be in your more juicy game, where the variance will be much higher.