Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Default The three bet

Since most of the real skill in onaha is post flop play I'm wondering about how often the winning players here(losing players you know who you are) three bet and with what hands.

I have yet to really make the three bet a part of my game unless I'm running real hot or someones on tilt/or a maniac... I'm content seeing a flop before commiting chips, but...

I was in a game the other night where the three bet was standard almost every hand and stacks were from 2-6x buy in. Came out a loser cause I was playing nitty and it was obv.

So, what is pos ev for a three bet? Do you have to hit the flop to follow through?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: The three bet

My thoughts on 3-bets:

You generally want to 3-bet w/ position. 3-betting oop is likely not to give you much edge because hands in Omaha are much closer in strength pre-flop as opposed to NLH, and position matters more in Omaha.

Remember that when you 3-bet someone that has AAxx, AAxx can respond by 4-betting which often puts enough money to commit both of you should you choose to call him. This is often not what you want. Similarly, remember when you have AAxx and make an initial raise with it, 4-betting is often a great choice against a 3-bet, unless your deep stacked.

3-betting with position is probably the best idea, particularly against LAGs. It can really punish them for raising oop.

Best hands to 3-bet with:
AAxx
xxyy (where x and y are generally pretty big numbers, but dont have to be too big)
5678 (espically if double suited) and hands like that
56AK ds, and hands similar

A common trick post-flop is to bet an A-high flop even if you have competely missed, attempting to rep AAxx. This often fails though if the other person has an A and is smart enough to realize this is probably a bluff. Making the usual semi-bluffs follow-thru bets are common. Give up if you really didnt connect with the flop. You dont need to follow thru as much as you dont when you 3-bet in NLH.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM

3-betting has (at least) three purposes (not counting bluff/fold equity value):

1) to isolate a target

2) to commit as much of your stack as possible pre-flop because you know you have the best now. Your target, typically, is to get 1/3 or more of your effective stack in. if you can't get close to this target (because you're too deep) then this play has dubious value if your oppeonent can mark you for what you have (i.e. AAxx, especially with a raggy xx).

3) To build the pot such hat you can potentially take your opponent's entire stack (and/or scare him off a moderate, but better hand with a well timed bluff). This applies for deeper stacked play. Your target should be to get in 5 to 10% (or so, up to 20% can be justifiable) of your stack which will allow you to apply maximum pressure and/or extract maximum value on later streets. This is classically applied when you have an uber co-ordinated hand - like QJT9ds.

(2) and (3) are mutually exclusive. But both work nicely with (1) when the situation warrents it.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:28 AM

You never 3 bet to isolate anyone. A hand you 3 bet you shouldn't care whether you get 1 caller or 7 since it should be strong enough to start with to be able to 3 bet.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You never 3 bet to isolate anyone. A hand you 3 bet you shouldn't care whether you get 1 caller or 7 since it should be strong enough to start with to be able to 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, wrong wtf. There are plenty of players/situations you should 3bet in position to isolate.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:21 AM

So Ribbo, what hands do/have you three bet and why?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Also you don't have to always raise the pot when you 3-bet - you can raise smaller.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like you have been challenged to back up this stament. I can think of at least a couple reasons to isolate. Obv the number of callers affects the probability of having the best hand, so...wtf?! So you never three bet slim the field?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like you have been challenged to back up this stament. I can think of at least a couple reasons to isolate. Obv the number of callers affects the probability of having the best hand, so...wtf?! So you never three bet slim the field?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously one of the reasons you would 3-bet is to lower the number of callers. It is hard to isolate individual donks tho with 3-bets as others are much more apt to cold call than say in NLH. Still you will get less callers in general and that is often what you want as the aggressor espically with a hand with high semi-bluff potential (ex: 5678ds)
Old 04-14-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost feel like u purposely post things that are wrong to throw ppl off bc this is just so stupid and so wrong