Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Wireless router headaches (awesome photoshop work inside!! must L@@K)

Why does my wireless router work when connected directly to my cable modem...but not when the input signal is coming via a big ethernet SWITCH.

I've posted about this before and couldn't get to the bottom of it, and I wanted to try tackling it again...but met failure [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ugh ugh ugh

Picture a standard cable modem. Well, when the outgoing wire goes from it directly into my wireless router, I'm able to configure my home wireless network just fine, and everything works.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM -- what I'm going for is a dual wired/wireless network...5 years ago, my parents had a big ethernet switch installed, and then threaded wires throughout my house...so i figured "oh, well since each one of those wires coming out of the switch carries an ethernet signal, I'll just take one and use it as the input to the wireless router and 'boom' wireless network enabled...after all, I reasoned, the wireless router doesn't know the difference between a signal coming directly from the cable modem, and one coming from the switch, right?

Well, apparently that's WRONG, b/c it works when the incoming ethernet signal comes straight from the cable modem, but NOT when it comes from one of the output ethernet wires from the switch. When I try the latter, the router successfully CREATES the wireless networ, and all my laptops can "see" it and appear to be exchanging data packets with it, but cannot connect to the internet

i'm somewhat tech savvy, and i've spent at least 8 hours of my life on this to no avail.
Help.

I made a pictorial display of this -- please don't allow my superior photoshop skills to have been employed in vain

Old 04-06-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Wireless router headaches (awesome photoshop work inside!! must L@

Old 04-06-2007, 12:22 AM

tl;dr, but I applaude your efforts OP
Old 04-06-2007, 11:48 AM

bump
Old 04-06-2007, 12:42 PM

How is the WR getting it's IP address and DNS number when hooked to the switch? You may need to write down what it is getting when plugged into the CM and then hard code those values into it when hooked to the switch.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is the WR getting it's IP address and DNS number when hooked to the switch? You may need to write down what it is getting when plugged into the CM and then hard code those values into it when hooked to the switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, i think i see what you're getting at...where do i see what those values are (when it's connected to the CM)? And what are the specific values that I'm looking for?
Old 04-06-2007, 01:04 PM

On my Linksys WRT54G they are on the setup tab. I'm just not sure if the DHCP will work through a switch. So if you can find the IP address for the router when it is plugged into the CM and the Static DNS server you might be able to turn off DHCP configuration for the router and manually add that stuff. You still want the router to provide DHCP though. On my router there is a drop down list box showing options for getting the address.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On my Linksys WRT54G they are on the setup tab. I'm just not sure if the DHCP will work through a switch. So if you can find the IP address for the router when it is plugged into the CM and the Static DNS server you might be able to turn off DHCP configuration for the router and manually add that stuff. You still want the router to provide DHCP though. On my router there is a drop down list box showing options for getting the address.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there such a thing as a simple internet "splitter"? e.g. i'm thinking that if both the Switch and the WR work on their own, but not when they're connected in SERIES, then what if i just immediately split the incoming internet signal into 2 (just after it leaves the CM), and plug one into the switch and the other into the WR...?
But i don't know if such a "splitter" exists.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:03 PM

Can you convert the switch to a hub? I don't think they make twofers for CAT5...
Old 04-06-2007, 03:18 PM

i think your switch is switching off your internet. you should photoshop some concepts for that.