Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Software for learning

I saw a program called Drill Master that seems to be a good learning tool for newbies. However before I spend the $60 I was wondering if anyone has used it and if it has enough "problems" and depth to it to make it worth the bucks. Also if someone has used Poker Academy how does it stack up as a learning tool vs Drill Master?

Or.... is there another program that fills the gap of Drill Master....

I'd be happy with Poker Flash Cards!

Here is Drill Master can be found here...

http://www.deepnettech.com/poker.shtml

OK thanks much...
Old 02-15-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Software for learning

[ QUOTE ]
I saw a program called Drill Master that seems to be a good learning tool for newbies. However before I spend the $60 I was wondering if anyone has used it and if it has enough "problems" and depth to it to make it worth the bucks. Also if someone has used Poker Academy how does it stack up as a learning tool vs Drill Master?

Or.... is there another program that fills the gap of Drill Master....

I'd be happy with Poker Flash Cards!

Here is Drill Master can be found here...

http://www.deepnettech.com/poker.shtml

OK thanks much...

[/ QUOTE ]

The Drill Master prgoramme looks interesting. It seems a different kind of product to Poker Academy.

I have Poker Academy Pro 2, and I'm very pleased with it. But it is "just" an offline poker simulator, with a sort-of cut-down version of Poker Tracker built-in. Drill Master looks like a more focused kind of training tool. I'm going to have a better look it this evening.

Regards,
Ian.
www.PokerPlan.net
Old 02-15-2006, 01:15 PM

I d/l'd the demo and wasn't all that impressed. I'm not sure I really need to able able to work out pot equity calculations to the nearest few percent. I'd rather look at outs and odds.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:21 PM

no one seems to ever talk about it anymore, but i love my wilson turbo. better chance to try stuff out over huge # of hands and you could look at major changes to an aspect of your game without losing any money.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have Poker Academy Pro 2, and I'm very pleased with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also very happy with Poker Academy.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:33 AM

I like Poker Academy. It doesn't play strong no-limit at all (can be beated with a simple artificial strategy) but the limit game is more realistic.

I'm yet to devise a table of opponents that mimics accurately the loose-agressive play that I find in the low microlimits I play in. I think it tends to play by the book.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:17 PM

I agree 100%. I have been very happy with the Wilson Turbo. It's greta for someone new that wants to leanr starting hands, the diffeences between loose, agressive, tight and passive play. You can also have the odds of every hand at the touch of a mouse. There is an additional extra that you can purchase called "Sidewinder Sid." He will critque every hand you play, allowing you to learn through play, rather than just through study. It's much easier to remember the immediate feedback, than it is to read, play, and then re-read a book. It's too easy to forget specific questions that arose while playing. It's around $80, but it's a wise investment IMO.