Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Mac v. PC

I hope I posted in the right area.

I'm just about ready to upgrade my current computer to keep up with my online poker needs and I was wondering if there were any opinions out there about which platform offers the most efficient, least troublesome means of gaming experience.

Having only used a PC in the past, it would certainly be my next logical option but I must admit the new ads have made me wonder if there isn't something to be said for the ease of use of a Mac.

Further, while I know all of the extra software (PokerTracker, etc.) runs on a PC, will it also run on a Mac?

Any input would be appreciated, both the pros and cons in your most humble opinions.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Mac v. PC

hello, I think i can help as i Just got a Mac and been using a pc for the last 22 yrs of my short life.

macs are cool. If you plan on buying a new mac then you will be able to use BOOT CAMP and dual boot your machine. there for you will be able to run the mac OS and windows on the same machine. therefor all your poker stuff will work. This must be the new mac os tho.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 AM

Or you can use Parallels to run both OSs at the same time. But you need to buy a copy of Windows. Or maybe you can use Wine to run individual PC apps under the Mac OS.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:34 AM

The advantages of Mac are numerous, especially for the technologicly impaired. And since the newer Macs can easily be made to run Windows and/or any Windows application (hence no limits on which poker sites you can play at), there is no downside to Macs except they usually cost a bit more.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:04 PM

Yep BOOT CAMP rocks.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:07 PM

I find that I don't really want to dual boot into windows with my Mac usually. I use Parallels sometimes to play on Pokerstars and it works well.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:14 PM

Bleh, Mac sucks. Stick with your PC.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:56 PM

Are you able to use all the same software (Poker Tracker, Poker Office, Stat King, etc?) as on a PC?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hello, I think i can help as i Just got a Mac and been using a pc for the last 22 yrs of my short life.

macs are cool. If you plan on buying a new mac then you will be able to use BOOT CAMP and dual boot your machine. there for you will be able to run the mac OS and windows on the same machine. therefor all your poker stuff will work. This must be the new mac os tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, here's where I show my ignorance (I assure you it wont be the last time). What is "dual boot" and what are the advantages for online gaming?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, here's where I show my ignorance (I assure you it wont be the last time). What is "dual boot" and what are the advantages for online gaming?

[/ QUOTE ]

It just means you can use either the Mac operating system or the Windows Operating system.

Its nice to have the best of both worlds. For example: the Mac is more secure, not subject to viruses. So I use it for e-mail, banking and shopping on the internet. I also use it as the platform for my photos, movies, TV shows and music.

On the other hand, most poker sites are windows only. Additionally, all the good poker software is windows only. So I use the Windows platform for poker. Also, if you want to learn programming or write some scripts it's a lot easier on the Windows platform.

So when you buy a Mac, in a way you are buying two computers with different features. When you buy a pc it's just one.