Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Hands from a downswing

FullTiltPoker Game #2196895415: Table Auborn (6 max) - $10/$20 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:26:21 ET - 2007/04/12
Seat 1: HAAANH ($1,895)
Seat 2: TheTaker ($5,466)
Seat 3: 6 feet under ($1,970)
Seat 4: chsgoldy ($2,108)
Seat 5: SirWatts ($3,399)
Seat 6: gamble4you ($2,354)
chsgoldy posts the small blind of $10
SirWatts posts the big blind of $20
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HAAANH [8h Jh]
gamble4you raises to $70
HAAANH calls $70
TheTaker folds
6 feet under folds
chsgoldy folds
SirWatts calls $50
*** FLOP *** [4d 7h Ah]
SirWatts checks
gamble4you checks
HAAANH bets $141
SirWatts calls $141
gamble4you folds
*** TURN *** [4d 7h Ah] [Kc]
SirWatts checks
HAAANH bets $400
SirWatts calls $400
*** RIVER *** [4d 7h Ah Kc] [3s]
SirWatts checks
gamble4you stands up
HAAANH bets $1,284, and is all in

I thought SirWatts was really, really bad but I have heard he is a decent tourney donk. Meh?

POKERSTARS GAME #9388509009: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($10/$20) - 2007/04/12 - 18:29:17 (ET)
Table 'Dembowska V' 6-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 3: Mr. Larry M ($2079 in chips)
Seat 4: CrAbLaR ($1920 in chips)
Mr. Larry M: posts small blind $10
CrAbLaR: posts big blind $20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to CrAbLaR [Td Ah]
Mr. Larry M: raises $20 to $40
CrAbLaR: calls $20
*** FLOP *** [Tc 7c 5h]
CrAbLaR: bets $67
Mr. Larry M: raises $233 to $300
CrAbLaR: raises $699 to $999
Mr. Larry M: raises $699 to $1698

I probably shouldn't go broke this way. Just calling his flop raise seems much better, in fact I have no idea why I came over the top again because I'll never be that far ahaead. Larry M is decent.

POKERSTARS GAME #9388386531: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($10/$20) - 2007/04/12 - 18:21:40 (ET)
Table 'Pecker II' 6-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 2: knockstiff ($400 in chips)
Seat 3: ahh_snap ($3582.40 in chips)
Seat 4: CrAbLaR ($3361 in chips)
Seat 5: NMcNasty ($2553 in chips)
Seat 6: ElkY ($2000 in chips)
CrAbLaR: posts small blind $10
NMcNasty: posts big blind $20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to CrAbLaR [8d 7d]
ElkY: raises $60 to $80
knockstiff: folds
ahh_snap: folds
CrAbLaR: calls $70
NMcNasty: folds
*** FLOP *** [5s Td 8h]
CrAbLaR: checks
ElkY: bets $120
CrAbLaR: raises $246 to $366
ElkY: calls $246
*** TURN *** [5s Td 8h] [9s]
CrAbLaR: bets $777
ElkY: raises $777 to $1554 and is all-in
CrAbLaR: calls $777

Checkraising the flop is much better than calling imo bc Elk will fire on all streets pretty often. I pick up a lotta outs on the turn and he could be floating me on the flop (though somewhat unlikely because he tends to keep his trickiness to just raising and betting a lot rather than calling/making plays on later streets).

In conclusion,I'm a donk and I'll be at 5/10 for awhile.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Hands from a downswing

hand 1 : do you think he folds AJ/A10?

I like it if he does. To him, your hand could be exactly what it is, a busted draw, but you have 44/77/a7/a4 plenty of times and play it exactly the same to make this fine. He folds out Kx of hearts on river, 45h, other flush draws if hes horrible enuff to get there with them. He has to have a tough time calling AJ/Aq, even when the river blanks out like it did.

Hand 2: you pretty much said it. its pretty gross all around your up against huge draws sets and overpairs. Fold.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM

Hand 1 is okay I guess, some people it suck against (and if you thought he was really bad then I'd suggest NOT trying to get him off an ace..?)

Hand 2 is definitely okay, you just seem result-oriented here.

Hand 3 "Checkraising the flop is much better than calling imo bc Elk will fire on all streets pretty often." is horrible logic.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3 "Checkraising the flop is much better than calling imo bc Elk will fire on all streets pretty often." is horrible logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to elaborate...I may have oversimplified it, but the fact is, if I just check/call the hand is going to get messy very often when he fires on the turn and river and I don't improve. I'm not saying I never peel here, but I think I c/r 50%, call 35%, and fold 15%.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to elaborate...I may have oversimplified it, but the fact is, if I just check/call the hand is going to get messy very often when he fires on the turn and river and I don't improve. I'm not saying I never peel here, but I think I c/r 50%, call 35%, and fold 15%.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT ABOUT LEADING
Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT ABOUT LEADING

[/ QUOTE ]

yes that sometimes too, forgot
Old 04-16-2007, 02:31 PM

elky just seems like a nit, hes usually betting because he always has a hand
Old 04-16-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, when you say that it sounds like you're essentially saying c/ring makes the hand easier to play. that may be the case but it's not necessarily a better ev play than check calling or leading. if he likes to fire barrels a if you check or try to take the pot away by floating if you lead, then a better play would probably not involve raising the flop. I feel like if you do that you're folding out a lot of his range that you don't necessarily want to fold out...

i dunno, i haven't played with elky a ton but from what i've seen of him, c/ring this particular board with your hand is just going to be disasterous.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Hand 1 is probably fine, SirWatts folds there a lot. However it does look like one of those situations where you have the nuts or nothing so he's certainly capable of hero calling from time to time, especially since you had a really aggressive table image.

Hand 2 seems really player dependant. I don't play much HU but I'm sure it's good against some guys and terrible against others, but I have no idea which one Larry is.

Hand 3 just looks really bad.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT ABOUT LEADING

[/ QUOTE ]

leading with hands like middle pair is completely dependant on what sort of hands your opponent thinks you lead with. By default, people tend to think people lead with [censored], so they raise them a lot (which is not what you want). However, if you lead with a monster once and repop the guy after he tries that crap, he'll quick change his opinion and give your leads much more respect.

For some players, leads from unknown are given more respect, so if you feel you are up against one of those players (itll be easy to see if you look at the guy's previous hh), leading with middle pair is fine.