Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Interesting problem with 44

I was playing in a 5-5 nl live game that I play in regularly. The two other players in the hand are known quantities.

I am third to act preflop. UTG folds and the next player calls ($15 in pot). I have a $320 stack and have 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I raise to $20. (I probably limp in this position 75-80% of the time. I raised primarily to vary my play.) The next player folds. The player two to my left had $600 in play when the hand began. He is a very tight, aggressive player and is a house player at this room. He raised to $60. Based on my experience with him and the impression I got from the way he bet, I would say that there was about a 90% chance that he had a large pair, probably AA - QQ.

The next player to act is a much looser, recreational gambler, but still a solid player. He has $80 and moves all-in.

The table folds around to me. Should I call? I have $300 and it is $60 more to call. I am 100% certain that the tight player with the big pair will call (because the all-in raise was only $20, he can't reraise). What does the all-in player do to my implied odds? I am sure that I need to flop a set against the player with chips behind. If I do flop a set I am very likely to be able to get all the money in on the flop with a check raise. But then I have to beat two hands for the main pot of $255 and the side pot would be about $480. I am confident that the all-in player has something, but his range of hands is much larger than the tight player's.

Comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Interesting problem with 44

so ur calling $60 into a $180 dollar pot giving u 3/1 on ur call. If you are certain that you are up against an overpair u r 7/1 underdog. So lets say u hit your set, you have $240 left which will surely be going into the pot. So implied odds saying u r risking $80 to win potentially $400 layin u 5-1 in implied odds so therefore its a fold preflop
Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Interesting problem with 44

super ez fold. you're not getting set odds (if you get player A's stack every time you flop a set it's still not enough) and there's going to be a dry sidepot which can make it more difficult to get paid off since player A knows you have to showdown when you start betting.