Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Coverage of Virginia Tech Shooting in International Press

Just wondering if the international crowd would like to chime in on the angle/style of the press coverage of the VT shootings. I'm interested to know how this is playing in the press in different parts of the world.

I was reading a couple of arabic news outlets this morning, one of them Dar al Hayat had the shooting as the lead story. The headline was something to the effect of, "Bush expresses shock, but affirms the right of Americans to bare arms." i'm not sure what country the aformentioned news outlet is assosiated with, but i do know they have an office in Lebanon.

another source, Al Arabiya which is Saudi owned had the story six down from the top. The featured story was something about a Israeli Spy uncovered in Egypt, with other Middle East specific stories ahead of the shooting. The headline for the shooting story was, "Among the Victims an Israeli Professor and an Arab Student"

I'm curious how this is playing in differnt locations in Europe as well as Asia. anybody got anything?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Coverage of Virginia Tech Shooting in International Press

[ QUOTE ]

I was reading a couple of arabic news outlets this morning, one of them Dar al Hayat had the shooting as the lead story. The headline was something to the effect of, "Bush expresses shock, but affirms the right of Americans to bare arms."

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be strange if we started making all our women wear burqas after this.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:23 PM

here are some real gems: link
Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 PM

i think this guy nailed it:

Italian daily Il Messaggero writes:

[ QUOTE ]
The bloodbath on the university campus is the work of a suicide killer -- an American suicide killer who, differently from Muslim killers, did not act out of religious motives but was driven instead by the unrest affecting broad layers of US society. America is a nation that has for some years been in danger of becoming more and more unloved in the world, especially in the poorest countries. During the period following World War II, America was seen as the guardian of democracy and was equated with the defense of liberty; today, America is a superpower that begins wars and lives with the constant necessity of having to defend itself against the enemy -- whether this enemy be called Islam or whether it bears the face of the neighbor who has done you wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-17-2007, 04:19 PM

that was my favorite as well rageotones

the first sentence underlies it all
Old 04-17-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bloodbath on the university campus is the work of a suicide killer -- an American suicide killer who, differently from Muslim killers, did not act out of religious motives but was driven instead by the unrest affecting broad layers of US society. America is a nation that has for some years been in danger of becoming more and more unloved in the world, especially in the poorest countries. During the period following World War II, America was seen as the guardian of democracy and was equated with the defense of liberty; today, America is a superpower that begins wars and lives with the constant necessity of having to defend itself against the enemy -- whether this enemy be called Islam or whether it bears the face of the neighbor who has done you wrong.

[/ QUOTE ] i'm not really sure that this quote hits the nail on the head at all. I read an article somhwere, can't remeber where, and it painted this kid as a nutty loner. He left a note that was described as anti rich kid and anti female. I'm not really sure i would charecterize him as being, "driven instead by the unrest affecting broad layers of US society." intersting piece, but i tend to thik of this kid as more of an anomoly. Someone who happened to be crazyish, and just snapped. I'm not sure that this incident is indicative of some flaw in American society...
Old 04-17-2007, 05:56 PM

sarcasm?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:00 PM

The German response seems appropriate. The response from other countries doesn't surprise me either.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:17 PM

All of the people quoted in the link claiming the low level of US gun control is the problem come from countries that have a history of fascism. So they are more comfortable with fascist/totalitarian concepts such as denying common citizens the tools to defend themselves.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:44 PM

What I can find in danish newspapers seems to be limited to reporting the facts. Maybe they'll have editorials tomorrow.

Most newspapers have an article on the fact that Bush continues to support the current gun laws. But that's only natural I think, because over here anything more dangerous than a knife with a 2" blade is illegal.