Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 PM

Default No Limit Book List?

I'm an established limit player who wants to try no-limit. I've the following in my Amazon cart:

Improve Your Poker - Bob Ciaffone
Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker - Stewart Reuben
No-Limit Texas Hold'em : A Complete Course - Angel Largay
No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice - David Sklansky
Winning in Tough Hold 'em Games: Hold 'em - Nick Grudizen

Does this sound like an appropriate education in No Limit Cash games, live and online? Are any of these worth crossing off the list?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: No Limit Book List?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an established limit player who wants to try no-limit. I've the following in my Amazon cart:

Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker - Stewart Reuben

Does this sound like an appropriate education in No Limit Cash games, live and online? Are any of these worth crossing off the list?

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning in Tough Hold'em Games is a limit book.

Get Theory of Poker if you don't already have it - the examples are all from limit games but the book overall is very applicable.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:15 PM

also, get Little Green Book (i think it's #1). also supersystem 2 (or get the free electronic version from doylespokerroom.com correctname??)

i wouldn't get IYP or the tough games. both due to limit... theory of poker is great, but it's limit and most is incorporated in later books.

it's not purchasing a book, but i'd also check cardplayer.com archives.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:20 PM

I knew I was missing something... that would be Little Green Book. I'm not much of a fan of Supersystem however. It certainly has some value but I'd stay away from it as a new player.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:34 PM

This is an excelent book and reading it will improve your game all around. It is mostly about limit poker, but it does have a section on big bet play.

Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker - Stewart Reuben & Bob Ciaffone

This has good coverage of general principles of big bet play. It is most famous as the source book for the "rule of 5 & 10."

I really enjoyed Angel's book. It is strictly about low limit, capped buy-in B&M play. It really showcases both the "play the player" and the "it depends" aspects of big bet poker.

This book it great, but they really should drop the "and Practice" part from the title. This book is mostly theory. Thick, dense theory. It took me three times through before I really "got" this book. I wouldn't recommend it as your first NL book, but it is deffenitly a must read.

It's been a long time since I've has to say this about a poker book, but here goes - I haven't read this one. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

You've got a good list of poker books there. Most of them, however, are either highly general or strictly theory. None of they present a "system" of play like you'd find in limit books like Weighing the Odds or Small Stakes Hold'em.

That's actually a good thing, since any NL book that says "With these two cards, in this position, do this..." will be wrong a good portion of the time because NL is so situation & player dependant.

That said, I might recommend picking up Little Green Book or Harrington on Hold'em 1&2. These both present a "system" for playing NL before the flop, on the flop and on later streets. Yes, HOH is about tournaments, but the early stages of multi-table tournaments, where the money is still deep and the blinds are still low, play very much like a regular cash game.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:19 PM

books are great and all but this website is the ultimate resource. read the ssnl master sticky a few hundred times, and get involved in the discussion of hands in the nl forums. its such a huge help
Old 04-04-2007, 03:09 PM

I would also recommend Harrington on Hold 'Em (Vols 1-3).
Those three, Sklansky's NLTP, and Gordon's The Little Green Book would be must reads IMHO.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:19 PM

Hi!

I just try the same as you now and my advice would be to start with "The Little Green/Blue Books" form Phil Gordon. They seem to be nice for guys like us, who want to switch from FL to NL. I for my part like them very much.

Also "Harrington on Hold 'em 1" was a recommandation to me, because although it is a tournament-book, it's main-topic ist small blinds in relation to the stacks, which is also the situation in cash-games.

To the books you mention I have to say that:

- "Improve your Poker" Is a very nice book, but it is no NL-Book

- "Winning in Tough Hold 'em Games: Hold 'em" is a FL-Book

About the other thre I can't tell anything, becaus I don't know them.

BTW.: Maybe we should (besides reading LGB and LBB) wait for "Harrington on Cashgames", which will Hopefully available in some months.

Hope that helpedy you a little bit.

greetings,
Andi
Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 PM

Don't bother with T&P. Largay's book is great, but mainly for full ring. For 6-max then the forums here and the cardrunners videos are really the best no-limit cash resources available. If you must get a book, LGB and HOH1 are worth the price.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:08 AM

i think hoh1 is a great book for learning nl it highlights a good tag strategy thats a proven winning strategy