Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 07:11 AM

Default 50/100, tricky river play

I know nothing about villain, and neither does he about me. We've played for half an hour, and he seem to play very well and quite agressively. 4 handed.

He raises in CO, I call in BB with 87s.

Flop: 699 tt. (not my suit).

I check-raise, he calls.

Turn: T, no suit.

I bet, he raises, I 3bet, and he 4bets. Here's the tricky part. The hand is played on BossMedia, where turn and river are uncapped, meaning that I have the option to 5bet him. However, I choose to call here.

River is a blank 2.

Then what? Check-call? Bet-call? Or what do you guys say about bet-3bet?

Thx for the answers.

AB
Old 03-30-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Re: 50/100, tricky river play

i 5-bet the turn (call a six-bet), bet out river (check-call river)
Old 03-30-2007, 10:49 AM

5 bet and call down anything else
Old 03-30-2007, 04:37 PM

5 bet the turn and fold to a 6 bet right there. If your read is even close to right about him playing well you have no shot if 7 BBs go in.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:02 PM

Why 5-bet and run any risk of making a catastrophic fold, when you can see a showdown for the same price? In rare cases, you may even be able to save a bet on the river. The gain of one extra bet does not outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion. Please explain.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:20 PM

Well I'm kinda thinking in terms of the conversation one has with the other player when going many bets. We've all seen this before.

His initial turn bet says I bet.
The raise says I like my hand.
The 3 bet says I have an overpair or better.
The 4 bet says I have a bad 9 beat.
Once we 5 bet the turn, we're saying we can beat A9 and the worst we can have is a straight.
If he 6 bet it a straight is drawing dead most of the time unless he's whacked out of his skull. The OP said he played very well so I assume this is not the case.

By 5 betting we get the maximum when we're ahead and we should lose the same amount when behind by folding right away. If he's not sure of his read, then you have a very valid point.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I'm kinda thinking in terms of the conversation one has with the other player when going many bets. We've all seen this before.

His initial turn bet says I bet.
The raise says I like my hand.
The 3 bet says I have an overpair or better.
The 4 bet says I have a bad 9 beat.
Once we 5 bet the turn, we're saying we can beat A9 and the worst we can have is a straight.
If he 6 bet it a straight is drawing dead most of the time unless he's whacked out of his skull. The OP said he played very well so I assume this is not the case.

By 5 betting we get the maximum when we're ahead and we should lose the same amount when behind by folding right away. If he's not sure of his read, then you have a very valid point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take this line sometimes, in weaker games, when im close 100% sure hes not raising worse. I didn't really consider it in this spot b/c its tough in agressive games vs. good players. But in this particular circumstance, I think maybe it can be well utilized. I wouldnt give that advice though, to a poster, cause I simply would have to have a lot more experience with villain to make that type of play. Additionally, it has a ton of metagame implications. It's tough, either way, nice post.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:01 AM

I'm sorry, I forgot to reply on your responses. Thx for them anyways.

Is there any way I can get you to focus only on the river play, assuming that I didn't 5bet the turn? I understand that 5betting the turn might be the best play, but I don't think not doing so is so much worse if I get the choose a correct river play.

As Ian J points out, there is no way he's 6betting something I really beat, but if I don't 5bet, don't you think there's a reasonable chance that he raises river with a lot of hands I beat, if I donk bet him?

Furthermore, I appreciate the logic of folding to a 6bet. However, I have only played half an hour with villain, which means that this hand is going to showdown every time.

Any of you feels like evaluating the bet-3bet river option, given the turn play?

Kind regards,

AB
Old 04-03-2007, 04:11 PM

Definitely wouldn't 3 bet the river...probably bet, call a raise...maybe check/call.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:32 PM

i mean river doesnt really become that much more interesting IMO. hes never checking behind a good 9 he 4 bet on turn, so whats the point of donkin? to induce a raise from a 9? he knows u dont have aboat at this point, so I dont see him raising river a lot without a boat or really good 9.

Maybe im missing something, but if u play it this way, check calling riv seems obvious..

P.S i bet u split the pot