Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 AM

Default High Stakes Poker 2-13-06

Last hand of the night.

Farha catches KK, Greenstein catches AA. Greenstein has position, fires a nice bet (I think Farha needed 70k to call..)

Farha hits a K on the flop...man what a hand.

When's Hellmuth gonna be on?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker 2-13-06

awesome thread.

anyway im glad you posted this because this gives me time to talk about something i was thinking about during this hand.

after barry reraises preflop, i think its a pretty decent spot to find a fold. of course, its difficult and depends on alot of image factors but i think folding is better than pushing there due to stack sizes. also, what absolutely shocked me was that after farha took so long and said im gonna be sick to my stomach, barry greenstein asked him if he had QQ. i was really disappointed in barry there as i thought it was quite obvious farha had KK.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:50 AM

he probably thought sammy wouldn't think that long about laying down KK.. from the way he's been playing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2006, 04:47 PM

It seems to me that Barry likes to raise or re-raise PF often, when he smells weakness. Since Sammy can be known to pop 37o, maybe Barry thought that he'd re-pop with AA thinking that Sammy knows Barry knows Sammy raises crap. And also thinking Sammy knows that Barry is highly likely to re-pop when he senses weakness PF. (Thus, getting a quick call from Sammy with QQ or KK).

I think if I'm Farha there, I insta-push with KK against Barry. Even though they were deep-stacked. I just don't see how he could get away from that. He can take all the time in the world, but the end result was that he couldn't muster a fold.

Besides, the way the hand was played, Barry could have had AK or QQ, IMO.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:11 PM

Didn't see the hand, but he might have said that to coax a call?

-Diplomat
Old 02-14-2006, 05:21 PM

One thing I don't understand, after outdrawing Barry on the flop, why would Farha (or Farhar per Gabe) offer to run it twice? I understand pre-flop, but why after he already had the advantage? Guilt?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:52 PM

Get GSN already you cheap bastard, lol.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I don't understand, after outdrawing Barry on the flop, why would Farha (or Farhar per Gabe) offer to run it twice? I understand pre-flop, but why after he already had the advantage? Guilt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because in real life Sammy is quite a gentleman. He would never angleshoot anyone and probably likes Barry as well.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:26 PM

no what happened was that sammy deliberated for a long time and finally said allin. barry insta-calls and sammy with a disgusted look on his face says something like "aces right?". barry flips them and says "queens?".

i guess my perception of the players could be off as just knowing how they play based on watching this show really isnt enough. barry is definitely pretty aggressive preflop and while i see farha as the type of guy to want to be in every pot regardless of his holding, i dont see him as the type to reraise out of the SB without a big hand. i guess i also dont see barry 4betting crap. i would think QQ would be an easy laydown there with chips stacks considering since farha only had 12k invested but would have to invest 178k more to win 62k total. i think that makes laying down kings a really close decision whereas laying down QQ is easy. if im right then barry should have known he had kings which is why it surprises me that barry put him on QQ after pushing.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there is still a 10% chance that he will lose, and he is risking close to 200k, whereas running it twice reduces his chance of losing his money to something around 1%. It's like having the option of winning 200k 90% of the time and losing 200k 10% of the time, or winning 200k 80% of the time with no risk of losing. EV is +160k in both cases, but alot of people would take the latter gamble to eliminate the risk of losing.