Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Trips on scary board v. the takeover--live 25/50

Game is 25/50 live, 7 handed. Effective stacks are 30k+. I am in the BB with QxJh. Nick Shulman is, in my opinion, one of the strongest NL live cash game players I have played with. I am pretty sure he respects my game as well. He has been playing well this session, and is up a fair amount having won a big pot with quads and the rest of the pots without showdown.

He once called down a turn continuation bet with middle pair after I checked flop behind (he was good), and called a turn continuation bet on another hand when the flop was checked through then folded when I bet the river. We have stayed out of each other's way.

EP limps, he limps on button, SB completes I check my option. Nick is certainly capable of limping big hands on the button. Flop is AhQd3d. I bet 200 on the flop hoping to take it down right there. He is the only caller.

Turn is a Qh. I bet 700. He calls after not much thought.

On the flop I put him on a diamond draw or an ace, but I guess he could have a queen too somehow.

River is a 10h. Board is now AhQd3dQh10h. What is my river plan? Bet/fold? Chk-call? Fake blocker to induce a raise? I really wasn't sure what the best river plan here was, and am curious as to what people think.

I decided to bet 1700, and he raised to 2200 on top? Instamuck? What hand do you put him on? Also, is this river an easy check call?

Thanks,
dlpnyc21
Old 04-20-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Trips on scary board v. the takeover--live 25/50

I don't even get your flop play, I wouldn't harp on it but from your writing it sounds like this is somewhat normal. 7 handed deep live NL betting out 2nd pair into a field of 4 is a losing play.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:12 PM

I'd say if he called the turn quickly he's probably got you beat once he raises the river: it's like "oh, i'm not caring about this hand too much, everything's cool: BOMB THE RIVER!" Something doesn't add up and it's most likely that he had a gutty+fd felt it was worth a peel and is now extracting value.

I would check/call here as you've led 3 streets and I think Nick's going to be able to figure out your hand pretty easy but if you check he might put you on diamonds or a weak ace going for showdown and bluff.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:12 PM

i muck the river, and would probably check it. Do you find your online game affecting your live play and vice versa at all? When I was playing a lot of online my live river play became really awful because I wasn't betting enough hands on the river for value (i.e. one pair against fish) or I was making bets that were unlikely to get paid off, sometimes my bets were just stupid...like what do you think he is going to call here? He's obviously mucking everything except a queen/boat/straight, if he has a missed draw he might try and bluff you out, I just don't see you getting paid when making this bet.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even get your flop play, I wouldn't harp on it but from your writing it sounds like this is somewhat normal. 7 handed deep live NL betting out 2nd pair into a field of 4 is a losing play.

[/ QUOTE ]

My flop play was definitely not standard, and I agree it's probabaly a losing play. For some reason my late night brain told me: they all just limped, no one has an ace, let me take this one down.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My flop play was definitely not standard, and I agree it's probabaly a losing play. For some reason my late night brain told me: they all just limped, no one has an ace, let me take this one down.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case I'd just prefer making it 300 to go pre.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i muck the river, and would probably check it. Do you find your online game affecting your live play and vice versa at all? When I was playing a lot of online my live river play became really awful because I wasn't betting enough hands on the river for value (i.e. one pair against fish) or I was making bets that were unlikely to get paid off, sometimes my bets were just stupid...like what do you think he is going to call here? He's obviously mucking everything except a queen/boat/straight, if he has a missed draw he might try and bluff you out, I just don't see you getting paid when making this bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt he would check any ace behind on the river, and there is no way he puts me on a queen with my flop play so I thought I could extract value from an ace (which he would have certainly also called the turn with) but I guess an ace can't call a river bet unless he puts me on diamonds, yet an ace will check behind the river--value town over I guess.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:21 PM

Yeah I was going to say that this is one of those spots where Valuetown doesn't really exist. I c/c, but I feel like villain does not bet the river frequently, thus when he DOES, I'm not surprised if I'm shown a better hand alot of the time.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In that case I'd just prefer making it 300 to go pre.

[/ QUOTE ]

in this game a raise like that will be called 100% of the time in at least 2 places.