Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Deepstack PLO tourney, help on turn

40 or 50 left in tourney, top 18 spots pay. I think Im a little over average in chips

played about 50 hands with villain, who seems solid (24/6/1.5)

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Tournament
Blinds: t200/t400
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t11967
UTG+1: t13215
MP1: t17967
MP2: t16400
MP3: t20868
CO: t12394
Fiasco: t14476
SB: t11504
BB: t4568

Pre-flop: (9 players) Fiasco is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
5 folds, CO calls t400 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t600)</font>, Fiasco calls t400 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1000)</font>, SB calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1400)</font>, BB checks.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t1600, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Fiasco bets t1200</font>, 2 folds, CO calls t1200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t2800)</font>.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t4000, 2 players)
CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Fiasco bets t2000</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to t4500</font>, Fiasco calls t2500 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t10500)</font>.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t13000, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">CO bets t4000</font>, Fiasco folds.
Uncalled bets: t4000 returned to CO.

Results:
Final pot: t13000

I called the craise on the turn because i thought i might have a bit of a loose image + im in a steal position + im betting weird amounts. I thought all of this might have gotten me extra action here from a hand I was chopping with or beating. However the river looked like such a blatant value bet that I had to get out.

In retrospect it seems pretty clear that he flopped a boat. Do others agree with this? How many people bet the turn (and how much?) Does everyone fold the turn craise? does anyone call the river? Am I being super weak tight?

Give me some perspective people.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Deepstack PLO tourney, help on turn

In the 50 hands, did you see V run any bluffs that got called down? How many hands did V value bet on the river that did not get called?

V's play here does look like a very credible representation of a strong hand, since there was no danger of a low coming in, a flopped boat here would be a strong candidate for a slow play, esp if V had an ace for backup, and few cards to fear.

And your bet on the flop? Slightly undersized, a polite way of stating 'I've got a ten at best, please get out of my way and give me the pot'. If V had seen you make any other laydowns after starting out strong, this would be a good place to make a play, but I'm more inclined to believe that the tight guy actually had something.

For that matter, V's reraise on the turn could have been a polite question: 'Do you have a boat or trips', and you answered the question clearly. This might have indicated that if V hit the flush or straight on the river, those hands would be good here.

I dunno. I tend to give a lot of respect to a flop call and a check-raise on the river if I don't think the V is clueless. Maybe a check behind on the turn was a better play, and you could have afforded to keep CO honest on the river. As played, I'd have a hard time folding, but if I had seen 50 hands with V, I could find a fold here if I had seen no evidence that V could pull off a representation like this with some busted low cards.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:51 AM

I continued thinking about it this morning, and I decided that your bet size on the flop was much too big. Here's some direct quotation from NLHETP by Sklansky/Miller, page 277:
[ QUOTE ]

When the flop is something like AKK, your opponents, if behind, will tend to have little chance to catch up. And even if they do 'catch up', they'll often discover they were drawing dead....

Your bets should be small no matter what you hold. If you flopped a FH, you'll want to bet a small amount, hoping a loose opponent will be tempted to call with an ace or a gutshot. If you flopped trip kings, you'll want to bet a small amount both to entice a call from a weaker hand and to limit your losses when you are behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have said it much better myself.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:55 AM

I would wish that I had folded the turn as played, but I don't know that I would have done given my image.

I don't think the river fold is weaktight, he definitely has at the very least tens and sixes, but I bet it's stronger than that most of the time. Betting a low blank is a pretty standard slowplay line for the flopped nuts or second nuts.

If it was me I'd just check behind on the turn then make a decision on the river.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:02 PM

I would've checked the turn. Evaluate the river.

But as played, I would've called his C/R. Calling any reasonable small to mid-size bet if an Ace or Eight hits.
If he pushes river with any Ace, I may fold considering he has Kings in the hole.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:14 PM

I would fold preflop but I would play the suited ace.

bet flop/turn lots of options/ I think you can fold the river.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:56 PM

OK, you understand that this is actually a PLO8 tourney (not PLO as the heading indicated). If youre suggesting that I need to fold A2xx on the button after one limper Im not hearing any of it.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:25 PM

i think turn is push/fold, but im leaning towards fold. It looks like he has KT. River is easy fold, but I think im either raising more on turn and definetly folding to the raise. If i bet 1k i would be 3betting/ai or i would bet 3k and fold to raise.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:17 PM

It sucks but he could easily have KT (though more likely QT or T6. even 66). Who knows though? You're not going to get him to fold a better hand though, even if he's agro.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 PM

Am I the only one who would have raised this on the BTN PF? This looks like a good spot to pick up the CO (who hasn't shown any strength) and the blinds here and now.