Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 12:18 PM

Default $22 AJo Button...Flopped Trips

Hey,
Early in a $22 SnG, how do you guys think I played it? And what ranges do you put Villain's on here?

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1450
UTG+1: t1570
MP1: t1950
MP2: t1090
CO: t910
Hero: t1290
SB: t2270
BB: t2970

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG raises to t60, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t60 (pot was t90), MP2 folds, CO calls t60 (pot was t150), Hero calls t60 (pot was t210), SB folds, BB calls t40 (pot was t270).

Flop: (t310, 5 players) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 bets t20, CO raises to t60, Hero raises to t320, 2 folds, MP1 calls t300 (pot was t710), CO calls t260 (pot was t1010).

Turn: (t1270, 3 players) K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MP1 checks, CO is all-in t530, Hero folds, MP1 calls t530 (pot was t1800).

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t2330, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t2330)

Results:
Final pot: t2330

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: $22 AJo Button...Flopped Trips

Fold preflop.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Fold PF.

As played, push flop. You'll get worse A to call and you want to prevent the flush draw.

As played, call turn. You're getting the odds here with the bluffing possibility, draws and overcalls.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I would fold pf here. I mean, he's holding a pretty good hand, has position and has a few people calling a weak raise in front of him. I make this call pf pretty often since it will be easy to play post-flop since you get to see all the action.
On the flop, I would lean towards pushing here for a few reasons.
The first being that any weaker ace is always calling you.
You may get villan to call with a hand like QQ or KK.
You can also get the villan calling with a flush draw, since he may feel committed to the pot.
On the turn, you can't really lay this hand down since you have way too much invested in this pot (based on your chip stack) with a pretty solid hand. I see that laydown as a pretty big mistake based on the odds. (Even if you call and are behind to a flush, there is still the outside chance that the board pairs (about 20% of the time). This needs to be factored into the decision making since it could turn a -ev play into a +ev play)

Oh, one last thing, we can't really put the villan on a range of hands here since (unless you have seen him play before) it is still very early in the sng.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:31 PM

Besides folding Preflop, i would push on the flop.
The reason for that is that a possible caller (CO) has only 530 chips left. If he`s on a FD you`ll get them anyway.

Not beeing result oriented though. I guess your fold on the turn is pretty bad. You`re getting just to good odds to fold.
If two ppl are all in in front of you, you might fold, because its likley one of them has a flush and the other one an Ace or boat (= you have no outs to fill up).
But as played you should call.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I would fold pf here. I mean, he's holding a pretty good hand, has position and has a few people calling a weak raise in front of him. I make this call pf pretty often since it will be easy to play post-flop since you get to see all the action.

[/ QUOTE ]
AJo is not a pretty good hand. It's a terrible multiway hand. Poker 101: Fold weak aces to raises preflop.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
AJo is not a pretty good hand. It's a terrible multiway hand. Poker 101: Fold weak aces to raises preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play this hand for the positional advantage for the chance to steal all the dead money in there. And if you're always folding AJo on the button to a weak raise like that, your losing alot of value.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play this hand for the positional advantage for the chance to steal all the dead money in there. And if you're always folding AJo on the button to a weak raise like that, your losing alot of value.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is 3xBB and 2 calls a weak raise? If you're just playing your position, you might as well do it with any two cards. Seriously, AJo is very weak in this situation and you'll get into a lot of trouble playing multiway pots with hands like this.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:10 PM

AJo is terrible to play early on...there's just so much potential to lose a huge pot with all those callers that it's just not worth it. Toss it and forget about it.

As played, it looks as if you're beat, but it's a tough decision. I'd be leaning towards folding here, like 60% of the time.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:31 PM

like in this hand, where you probably lost to AK/AQ/maybe 3s full