Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 08:28 AM

Default how hard to move up?

I play for 2 months now and really put some effort into it(read couple books and articles, watched stoxvideos). After some initial losses i started(beginnning of march from 48$) to win consistently at 1/2 and although i had my bad days, i came up to about 130$ and hoped, that soon i would be able to move up.

But there always were sessions, where i lost 40-50$ for a session and had to climb up all the way back again. and 2 days ago i had a really bad one that dropped me back to about 40$.
(And i checked thes sessions and yes, i made mistakes but not as big as to blame that huge loss on my play)

I know I can't be a great player afer 2 months, but i try to play solid, make appropriate folds, build big pots with premium hands, etc. and i know, that i have an edge over a lot of the players at this limit.

Is it normal to drop down that hard every few sessions?
I've only played about 3500 Hands sofar, so maybe that is to small of a sample to judge anything?

Pls give me some advice on this, as i really love poker and would also like to get a good view of what and how long it taktes to make consistant wins with it.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: how hard to move up?

There seems to be some issues with Bank Roll Management. You should at least have 300BB's for a given stake and more if you dont like to move down.

Most posters in here can tell you scary stories about dropping 100BB's in 30 minutes or worse. Variance is really sick in shorthanded limit hold em.

Also 3500 hands is far from enough to say anything. But if your bankroll is 40 USD or less you shouldnt play 1/2. More like 0.05/0.1 at Stars or Party.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 AM

To give an idea, my latest 2k hands:

$2/4 SHLHE, 1942 hands, playing 26/18/2.3 (3.0/2.0/1.7 f/t/r), 35% WSD, but only 42% W$SD. Att. steal 32%, fold BB 55%. Reasonable stats (small sample size), certainly much better than half of the players there.

Lost $991.50, for a rate of -12.76 BB/100. I'm so disgusted with the game at the moment I'm considering just cashing out and never playing again.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:26 AM

Thx for the reply.

Well, i guess you're right about that. I did play .50/1 until i had about a 100$ and then moved to 1/2 but still that's far from good bankroll management [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Even though i've heard it before, i thought i'd give it a try with less...

Anyway
I have enough cash to stake me for 1/2 or even 2/4 with 300BB, so maybe i'll do that, because i really think i can beat a lot of players at these limits.(or even higher? how big is the skill difference between 1/2 and 3/6?)

But if variance get's that sick, i imagine, that it really becomes hard moving up limits and i figured that i have to at least multitable 5/10 to make a nice and steady supplementary income with poker(which for me would start at around 30-40$/hour).

Any thoughts on that?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Lost $991.50, for a rate of -12.76 BB/100. I'm so disgusted with the game at the moment I'm considering just cashing out and never playing again.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, and that's exactly what i(and probably a lot of other people) think when i loose in limits, that i know i'm better at than, like you say, at least half the players.

But then how can i stop, if i know that i can beat theses players/limits in the long run?
(From all that i've read so far by more experienced players)

But then again, after such a losing streak, i'm really asking myself if it works?

I guess faith and risk is the clue??
Old 04-01-2007, 05:24 PM

theres no big diffirence in limts if you select tables and seats right, though its more aggressive wich will lead to bigger swings.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:31 PM

here's what I have to say about variance. I was a winning player at every level up to 50-100. 3k bet downswing later i question everything i do at 5-10. Variance blows and the only thing that really matters is your bankroll. I woudnt be able to drag myself to a 15-30 table now when last year i was playing 14 tables 10-20 to win party poker promotion. The most important lesson of poker is that you cann't play at a level where you cann't afford the swings.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:33 PM

you mean 3000BB downswing justin?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:41 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2007, 05:43 PM

awesome