Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Why am I a degen?

New poster, long time lurker, blah blah blah. Anyways, I need some advice.
I consider myself a fairly good poker player, probably a long term winner, at least a breakeven player (I don't use pokertracker cause I'm too degen for that) but by my standards I could probably make a decent wage with rakeback alone. I have lots of free time and I am willing to put in 200 hours a month = lots of rakeback.
My problem is that I tilt always and I tilt huge. When I tilt I almost always resort to -EV games such as roulette to recoup my losses, and then obv lose more and then just monkey tilt my whole stack away. I know that I am a degenerate, but I don't really want to give up the opportunity of being able to work for myself.
So should I just quit poker altogether or does anyone think that gambling adddiction can be controlled and that I could learn to not tilt.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Why am I a degen?

I am the same - I play well for hours, take a beat, then jump up to a big table and tilt off all the money I have in my account. At least I stick to the poker tables, and don't try any other form of gambling. It means I never have a roll; I start again each time I play. If I'm lucky, I've cashed out, but all too often even if I've quadrupled, octupled up I'll keep playing, dreaming of an even bigger win, and eventually take a beat, tilt, and lose the lot.

Lots of people can play poker well. But a winning player also needs to be able to play to a consistent standard, play at the right levels for his bankroll, and avoid tilt. I can play the game; but I can't manage money or my moods. So, I'm not a winning player.

It's like being an alcoholic - "I love drinking neat JD but I get dreadful hangovers. Can you help me?"
Old 04-04-2007, 08:44 AM

Oh dear.

I hate to rip into the noobies, but there are soooooo many inconsistencies and mutually exclusive statements in the OP, i just dont know where to start.

The thrust of your post seems to be, i am a winner, and can make some $ out of this if i dont tilt, which is always.

Well, the more you tilt, the more you will lose, period.

You dont own PT? FOr [censored] sake, how do you have any idea of how good a player you are?

probably a long term winner, at least a breakeven player, according to what? A nonexistent statement. How many hands/levels? etc?

If you are truly a poker player, instead of a gambler, just think to yourself, I will never do another bad play. SO, just never go near the -ev games again, ie roulette, AND poker tables, at a level of which you cannot beat.

Sorry to sound harsh, but you sound like a gambling addict trying to justify their bad play to avoid getting a real job.

Hint #1 get a real job

2 buy Pt, and check out all of the stats on your hard drive

3 play part time

4 learn to play properly\

5 get tilt issues under control

Even if you can do all of this, you will probably realise that if you are smart enough to beat poker (which, at the monment, i am sure you are not), then you are smart enough to earn much more than you can on the poker table

Kind of ironic, isnt it?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:36 AM

First of all I am not a noobie, I have been playing for years. Secondly, I said I assume I am a winning player, and the reason I think so is because I do have sound strategy, I understand position, hand selection, pot odds, table selection and I execute these concepts well and consistently. I play fixed limit so even if I am making more mistakes than I think I am, I am not paying as much for these mistakes as I would be if I was a nl fish. Even if I am not a winning player, I don't mind even being a small loser because since I have the freedom to put in many hands per month, I can make decent money with rakeback.
I do have a "real" job, and the nature of my job allows me to play poker while I "work".
I am considering buying poker office, I only assumed my general winrate because my main goal is to get rakeback.
I do know how to play properly, my tilting isn't the result of losing because of bad play, rather it's because I am a gambling addict and even small swings put me on tilt. What I want to accomplish is to shake the degen out of me so I can just focus on playing hands. What I am really wondering, is it possible for a gambling addict to cure the addiction but still be able to play poker for profit. Do you have any advice on controlling tilt? Thank you for your feedback.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 AM

going "pro" is probably the worst thing you could do for yourself
Old 04-04-2007, 11:24 AM

Reef can you elaborate?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:42 PM

Hmmm your main goal is rakeback?
You win back your money on Roulette.

You should play on Poker Stars in the 50nl and 100nl games. Also please post screen name thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm your main goal is rakeback?
You win back your money on Roulette.

You should play on Poker Stars in the 50nl and 100nl games. Also please post screen name thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

My screen name? pattyflip. I play mostly on UB so if you have an account I would be more than willing for some headsup. Would make some great entertainment for the other 2p2ers.

And yes roulette is my huge leak. I'm fully aware of the house's 2.7% edge.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:43 PM

Tilting issues, addictions, etc; these go right back the very essence of your "mental makeup" and who you are. I think sometimes people vastly underestimate the enormity of the task of changing these characteristics.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 PM

dreams of rakeback grinding? lol