Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 05:24 PM

Default It\'s official: I\'m gonna burn for trillions and trillions of years

This Pope guy thinks Hell is a real place:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21460090-2,00.html

Obviously it's just the thing a kind, loving being would make for his creations.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: It\'s official: I\'m gonna burn for trillions and trillions of years

I'm not worried. I think my State Farm Umbrella Policy covers this...
Old 03-27-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: It\'s official: I\'m gonna burn for trillions and trillions of years

I think it comes down to this. Religious folks think atheists are going to hell. Atheists think religious folks are already there.

Would you say that's accurate?

p.s. save some marshmallows, I'll bring the hershey bars and we can make s'mores.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it comes down to this. Religious folks think atheists are going to hell. Atheists think religious folks are already there.

Would you say that's accurate?

p.s. save some marshmallows, I'll bring the hershey bars and we can make s'mores.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clever, pithy quip aside:

No.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 PM

Well I think developing a taste for Devil's Food Cake might score more PC points with the relevant management, but seriously...any of the resident Cathilogicos want to defend this position? The Pope is head of the largest and oldest (not to mention richest) of the Xian sects, so by the reasoning in another thread he must be right. Or so I'm told.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I think developing a taste for Devil's Food Cake might score more PC points with the relevant management, but seriously...any of the resident Cathilogicos want to defend this position? The Pope is head of the largest and oldest (not to mention richest) of the Xian sects, so by the reasoning in another thread he must be right. Or so I'm told.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your link didn't take me to the article, but I found it here:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21460090-663,00.html

This article is confusing in that the current pope says that Hell is a real place, while later down, they use quotes from JP II and some Vatican officials saying the Pope is stressing the symbolic aspects of Hell rather than physical, or that it's not a place. That's BS.

The teaching of the Catholic Church is this: Hell is a real place or state of eternal fire. The damned will suffer not only the loss of God, but a pain of sense as well. Any opinions contrary to this are heretical.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:54 AM

I would like to see the text of the Pope's actual talk.

The "news" article's headline reads

Reporter's Representaion?
-------------------------
HELL is a place where sinners really do burn in an everlasting fire, and not just a religious symbol designed to galvanise the faithful, Pope Benedict XVI has said.
--------------------------

But that's not a quote of the Pope as far as I can tell. It's the reporter's representation of what he said. Yet Vatican Officials gave this representaion:

Vatican Officials' Representation
---------------------------------
He had wanted to reinforce the new Catholic catechism, which holds that hell is a "state of eternal separation from God", to be understood "symbolically rather than physically".
----------------------------------

It also says that in 1999 Pope John Paul II stated

Pope John Paul II
-----------------
In 1999, pope John Paul II said heaven was "neither an abstraction nor a physical place in the clouds, but that fullness of communion with God, which is the goal of human life".

Hell, by contrast, was "the ultimate consequence of sin itself. Rather than a place, hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy".
---------------------

The only relevant direct quotes from Pope Benedict that I see in the article are:

Pope Benedict XVI
-----------------
the Pope said that in the modern world many people, including some believers, had forgotten that if they failed to "admit blame and promise to sin no more", they risked "eternal damnation - the inferno".

Hell "really exists and is eternal, even if nobody talks about it much any more".
---------------

So according to Pope Benedict XVI, hell really exists and the eternal damnation can be characterized as "the inferno".

But taken in the context of the Official Catechism which says, hell is a "state of eternal separation from God", to be understood "symbolically rather than physically". And the previous Pope's declaration that heaven was "neither an abstraction nor a physical place in the clouds, but that fullness of communion with God, which is the goal of human life" and Hell, by contrast, was "the ultimate consequence of sin itself. Rather than a place, hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy,

I have to conclude Pope's Benedict's emphasis that hell is real does not translate to saying it is a real place. And his characterization of it as eternal damnation, strong "straightforward" language for eternal seperation from God. Considering the Catechism the term "inferno" should be taken symbolically.

So I think the reporter's headline is a bit of a misrepresentation for attention grabbing purposes.

Not that any of this makes it that much easier to swallow.

PairTheBoard
Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The teaching of the Catholic Church is this: Hell is a real place or state of eternal fire. The damned will suffer not only the loss of God, but a pain of sense as well. Any opinions contrary to this are heretical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link for that? Or at least a reference?

PairTheBoard
Old 03-28-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link for that? Or at least a reference?

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

My reference is from the "Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma" by Dr. Ludwig Ott, pg 479 "Hell is a place or state of eternal punishment inhabited by those rejected by God." It goes on to describe the nature and properties of Hell. Another good reference is the Catholic Encyclopedia: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm
Old 03-28-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My reference is from the "Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma" by Dr. Ludwig Ott, pg 479 "Hell is a place or state of eternal punishment inhabited by those rejected by God." It goes on to describe the nature and properties of Hell. Another good reference is the Catholic Encyclopedia: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. What is eternal punishment? I thought you said in other posts that the punishment fits the crime.