Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2006, 05:13 AM

Default 2/4 BB flops tpnk in limped pot

Villian is 46/5/1.5 after 61 hands and has already left nearly a buyin on the table. No specific reads on him. I ran hot the first two orbits and went up 15BBs before my 3rd button, so it's possible he sees me as hyper LAG, but I cooled down and have done nothing out of line since.

My plan upon seeing the flop was c/r flop, lead turn. I was not expecting the 3 bet and saw it as a free card play or a better T but not sure which; I think this player would have waited till the turn to raise an 8. Is this river an easy fold?

Converted by PokerGeek
Absolute Limit Hold'em Ring - $2/$4 Stakes (6 handed)

Starting Stacks
Seat 2: CO ($56)
Seat 3: Button ($127.25)
Seat 4: Small blind ($101.25)
Seat 5: Big blind (Hero) ($159.75)
Seat 7: UTG ($158.59)
Seat 9: LP ($65.25)

Preflop: Hero is Big blind with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, LP calls, CO calls, Button folds, Small blind folds, Hero checks

Flop: (3.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, LP bets, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero raises, LP raises, Hero calls

Turn: (5.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, LP checks

River: (5.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, LP bets, Hero calls

Final Pot: $25.75
Old 02-13-2006, 05:23 AM

Default Re: 2/4 BB flops tpnk in limped pot

I would def. not fold this one. I would even consider to bet the river. The turn-check indicates weakeness. The board is coordinated and Flush sensitive so he could we be on a draw.
The river card won`t complete any draw.
The fact the Q comes in at the turn could help you, when Villain also has an T, for a split pot.

Don`t Fold!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:24 AM

I don't know about Absolute, but cheap-showdown flop raises seem more popular on Party these days than free-card raises.

That said, you do beat, for instance 55. And although Villain could have 97 if he was making a free-card flop 3-bet, other draws that you beat are possible.

I guess you could consider bet-folding the river, but I'm worried you'll sometimes get raised by a worse hand. Villain may forget why you checked the turn. Or he may decide you didn't like your hand enough to cap the flop, so maybe you'll fold know to his imitated turn slowplay.

Anyway, if I were Hero, I would probably check-call the river and either be annoyed with myself when Villain checked his 99 or think "Duh!" when he bet with his J9 or QQ and I called.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:36 AM

I think this hand is played perfectly.

True
Old 02-13-2006, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, if I were Hero, I would probably check-call the river and either be annoyed with myself when Villain checked his 99 or think "Duh!" when he bet with his J9 or QQ and I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, in other words, you dont think the play is horrible? To extrapolate, how does a rainbow flop affect my play?
Old 02-13-2006, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this hand is played perfectly.

True

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the confirmation. To touch on something Nick C mentions, will you ever bet/fold this river after villain's turn check behind? In contrast to what he says, I do not see a worse hand raising this river.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, in other words, you dont think the play is horrible? To extrapolate, how does a rainbow flop affect my play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the hand is fine. If Villain has spades, he might bluff them on the river. He might decide to bet pocket 3's, too, after getting checked to twice in a row.

If it weren't for the on the flop, I think your chances of being best on the river would not be as good. Both of the OESD's got there.

The one I would not be surprised to see at all is J9, since that one hit on the turn and Villain didn't bet that street. (But Absolute may be different than Party in that regard.)

Anyway, if it weren't for the spades, then I think bet-folding the river gains some additional attractiveness, so long as you don't fear a raise from a worse hand. I think Villain will usually either have a monster (like Q8 or a turned or rivered straight) here or some so-so made hand that he's worried might not be best, given the flop action. Unfortunately, your hand isn't a monster either and some marginal hands such as T9 do chop with you.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the hand is fine. If Villain has spades, he might bluff them on the river. He might decide to bet pocket 3's, too, after getting checked to twice in a row.

If it weren't for the on the flop, I think your chances of being best on the river would not be as good. Both of the OESD's got there.

The one I would not be surprised to see at all is J9, since that one hit on the turn and Villain didn't bet that street. (But Absolute may be different than Party in that regard.)

Anyway, if it weren't for the spades, then I think bet-folding the river gains some additional attractiveness, so long as you don't fear a raise from a worse hand. I think Villain will usually either have a monster (like Q8 or a turned or rivered straight) here or some so-so made hand that he's worried might not be best, given the flop action. Unfortunately, your hand isn't a monster either and some marginal hands such as T9 do chop with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a chop is very likely.

True
Old 02-13-2006, 08:45 AM

I like a turn-donk/fold.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a turn-donk/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

What on earth would that accomplish? We have a hand here that is weak but has SOME showdown value, plus a full house draw.

Give him the free card, and reevaluate on the river.