Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Back after a long break - 2/4 River decision

Villain statss ay 17/12 but I think he's been playing tigher preflop during this session so far. We haven't tangled yet, but my image is a little weak after failing to take many c-bets so far.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($93.45)
CO ($442.40)
Button ($330.45)
Hero ($423)
BB ($276.20)
UTG ($426.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, BB calls $12.

Flop: ($32) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, BB calls $20.

Turn: ($72) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: ($72) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $135</font>, Hero...

My initial river bet probably should've been bigger, closer to $50. His hand range doesn't include much in the 2-5 range though given his tight preflop tendencies, but it is a blind battle so who knows he could have a 3. Not sure why he'd just call flop and check through the turn though. Is he raising my weak bet often enough to call here?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Back after a long break - 2/4 River decision

I would probably fold here, especially if this guy has been playing really tight. He could have something like A3s or maybe even 22. I would think the call on the 233 flop is a little scary and if he had a hand like 44-TT he might raise the flop. With a hand like 44-TT the J probably scares him a little but with you checking the turn it's hard for him to put you on that and he might even consider the J to be a scare card for you. The raise to $135 on the river, however just kind of seems like a "call-me" raise. If he had 44-TT he would probably just call the river. He might've hit 5s full on the river too. I could understand playing 55 like that but maybe raising the flop instead of flat calling. Anyway, I would probably lay this one down here and wait for a better spot
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM

Hard one. He is so tight that folding might be the best thing to do.

Your bet is so low that he might raise with ANY hit and if this is the case, I would defiantely call. I think i would call this anyway because i wouldn't know his stats and i wouldn't trust his preflop stats for this river situation.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM

You have to call bc of your weakass river bet. Had you made it $60 and he raised then you can fold.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Given that turn went check-check, I think check-call river is better than bet-fold. As played, I probably call b/c you bet small.

D
Old 03-29-2007, 12:31 PM

Since you're probably good on river, bet more as others have said, that way you can easily fold if raised. I only like betting very small river bet if block against non tricky player, or with bigger hand where your begging for a call or raise.

As played though, i still fold to the 17/12 players raise. If he has something like 54 or mid pair, he might just call, hoping you have AK. This looks like either big hand for pure bluff, and i dont think its pure bluff from 17/12 a third of the time.