Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Hellmuth loses $536k in one night of Chinese to Ivey

Talks about it in an interview:

http://www.pokernews.com/live-reporting/...e-poker-118.htm
Old 03-29-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth loses $536k in one night of Chinese to Ivey

don't worry about it. he is near full power.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:00 AM

What amount do you have to play for a point to do that?
Old 03-30-2007, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What amount do you have to play for a point to do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

He said they were playing $1000 and $2000 a point.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 AM

There is almost no way to lose that much playing for 1k or 2k a point. Do the math.
Maybe 20 hands/hr
Ivey avg's 1 point per hand(unrealistic)
At 2k per point that is over 13 hours of Chinese Poker with Ivey crushing at 1pt per hand?
There is something not right here. I'm guessing when Hellmuth started losing they bumped it up to 10k+ per point or something.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is almost no way to lose that much playing for 1k or 2k a point. Do the math.
Maybe 20 hands/hr
At 2k per point that is over 13 hours of Chinese Poker with Ivey crushing at 1pt per hand?
There is something not right here. I'm guessing when Hellmuth started losing they bumped it up to 10k+ per point or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about Chinese, so forgive an ignorant question, but is it still unbelievable if they were playing with a bunch of crazy bonuses?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe 20 hands/hr

[/ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about Chinese, so forgive an ignorant question, but is it still unbelievable if they were playing with a bunch of crazy bonuses?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only played it online, so I guess I just assumed those crazy bonus hand points were just an online thing. Seems it would be kind of complicated live. Especially since there are a couple of different sets of bonus point awards(West & East?). Like I said I've only played it online, I could be way off base here.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure how their bonuses work so i couldn't say for sure. I have read the rules of the game with basic bonuses and i would imagine Ivey would have to be on the mother of all heaters to run that high. I play chinese poker every day with a guy at work while were working, and that's with his extra couple of bonus's that he likes to ad... we play .25 a point and the most either of us has been up is around 20$ or 80 points. And that is after literally a month of play (we settle at the end of our 28 day work cycle).

Sometimes i think that poker players just like to create legendary stories about themselves for self promotional purposes. Though, Barry seems like an honest dude and i can't wrap my mind around how he could lose a million to Forrest playing Chinese unless it was like 10k or even 50k a point or some insane number.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:40 AM

I'm sure they had some big royalties and prop bets going on, and they were almost certainly playing two hands each, so 20 hands an hour sounds like a very low estimate. I don't see why they couldn't have gotten in ~60 per hour with somebody dealing for them, and played a long session. Ivey must have ran hot and scooped a ton which is +$8k(+ even more for royalties) at $2k per point. It's still a sick winrate, but maybe possible...maybe.