Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 01:18 PM

Default 87s early in live tourney

This is an older hand that I didn't post before from the Circuit event in San Diego. First event, $300 buy in, 660 or so start, we're past the first break, I think the 4th level. Blinds are 100/200

Relevent stacks.

Hero button ~7000
SB ~12,000
UTG ~7000
MP ~6000

Hero is Button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Reads so far, SB is new to the table, so no real reads but he seems like a thinking player since I've watched him play a few hands. UTG and MP are both weak tight players who like to limp, but have continually folded to cbets from myself and one other player. My image is probably on the aggressive side, but I've shown down some good hands, and tripled up early with pocket tens that hit a set.

Action:
UTG limps, folded to MP who limps, Hero limps, SB raises 800. UTG, MP call, so I call. (I'm a sucker for suited connectors I guess, right move to call?).

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Pot (3400)

Checked around to Hero, (reads: UTG, didn't seem to like the flop, no reads on others cause I wasn't looking at them.) Hero checks.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Checked around to hero again. Is this a good time to bluff at this pot? If so how much? I'm sure my 7 is better then UTG, but a little worried about a pocket pair better then 7s or slow played Q.

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: 87s early in live tourney

I think you bet here, but not just as a bluff. Also to protect your hand and to value bet against worse hands that may call. Additionally, a bet here probably gets you a "free" showdown if you are called.

FWIW - given your read on the flop, I would have bet there as well. You might have the best hand and too many cards can come that you won't like.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you bet here, but not just as a bluff. Also to protect your hand and to value bet against worse hands that may call. Additionally, a bet here probably gets you a "free" showdown if you are called.

FWIW - given your read on the flop, I would have bet there as well. You might have the best hand and too many cards can come that you won't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks good.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks, if you're bluffing, what size bet are you putting out there?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, if you're bluffing, what size bet are you putting out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if I didn't have a pair or any draw at all, I'd probably bet like I had a Q. Somewhere around 1/2 to 3/4 the pot.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 PM

I'd be somewhat concerned about SB raising pf OOP and then checking twice.

Also, it's check round to button, who bets. You're going to get looked up a lot so as a bluff (in the sense of folding better hands), I don't see this working very often, if at all.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be somewhat concerned about SB raising pf OOP and then checking twice.

Also, it's check round to button, who bets. You're going to get looked up a lot so as a bluff (in the sense of folding better hands), I don't see this working very often, if at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, well said. That's why I would bet for value here, not as a bluff.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed here, this was one of my concerns here. It looks like an obvious steal. I put in 1000 simply cause I didn't think anyone had a pocket pair, or a 7. SB thought for a long time, mumbled something about I'm sure someone has a Queen, looks at me for about 2 min, and finally mucks. Followed by everyone else. We broke the table shortly after, and SB asked if I had it, and told me he had pocket 10s. I was very surprised he folded. I think I played this poorly, but got lucky with another weak tight player.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:50 PM

Seems to me that he played it poorly.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:56 PM

Despite results I definately think you are betting to protect your hand here, I probably would have bet a little more but this looked like it worked out perfectly. To be honest you have to think that no better hand ever folds here, but apparently Im wrong.

I really hope people play like this against me when I play circuit event prelims next month.