Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 03:51 AM

Default seeing cheap/free flops with A-rag

Don't really have a hand history to go along with this, but it seems to be a fairly common scenario. In particular I'm referring to situation where I'm dealt a really weak ace (such as A3o) in the BB, and there are a few limpers but no bets. So I see the flop for free, and the uncoordinated board brings an ace.

What are some options to maximize my value, if I even have any here? I often want to simply check-call hoping to catch a semi-bluff, but of course that often backfires. Is it best to just fire into the pot until it becomes evident that i'm badly outkicked or beat, then just fold?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Re: seeing cheap/free flops with A-rag

I just make a potsize bet on the flop, actually hoping to take it down there. When called, a blank on the turn will make me bet again. When I meet resistance when out of position, I have no problems with letting it go.

Check-calling leaves you in the dark about your opponents hand and can cost you more than necessary. I'll do it sometimes heads-up, but never in a multi-way limped pot.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 AM

I generally check/fold. Even if I think it's quite likely I have the best hand, continuing without a good read on opponent's turn/river strategy isn't gonna be very profitable, if at all. Folding the best hand should never bother you.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally check/fold. Even if I think it's quite likely I have the best hand, continuing without a good read on opponent's turn/river strategy isn't gonna be very profitable, if at all. Folding the best hand should never bother you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding the best hand should never bother you? I think the whole goal of poker to is to never fold the best hand and only fold worse hands. I understand your point in having to make a big laydown in the face of pressure considering you might still have the best hand but it still bothers me everytime and I am constantly trying to improve here.

That said I usually check the flop and will call a bet depending on villain. If hes aggro and in LP then call then reeval turn.
If checked through on flop Ill usually lead a blank turn for 2/3 pot trying to induce a midPP or MP to call. Block bet on river follows.