Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Tough river call

This hand been in my head for 2 days now. Villain just sat down but I know from previous sessions that he is a TAG who is not too tight and who is also not affraid to bluff.

My thoughts on the river were that he was betting either a good hand like 8's or better, or a missed flush or straightdraw. I thought he would check/call with something like a pair of sixes. Getting 7:1, I thought that made up a good enough percentage of hands to call.

Comments on all streets are appreciated; I'm also interested what you think about Villain's play.

(Btw have all hand converters stopped working after the Party update? I had to enter this hand manually ..)

Party Poker, $ 15/$ 30 USD Texas Hold'em
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 4: BTN ( $ 1 276.50 USD )
Seat 1: UTG ( $ 962 USD )
Seat 3: CO ( $ 1 077 USD )
Seat 5: SB ( $ 876.98 USD )
Seat 2: Hero ( $ 966.51 USD )
Seat 6: Villain ( $ 172.82 USD )
SB posts small blind [ $ 10 USD ].
Villain posts big blind [ $ 15 USD ].

Holecards:
Dealt to Hero [[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K ]
UTG folds
RAISE Hero , $ 30 USD
CO folds
BTN folds
SB folds
CALL Villain, $ 15 USD

Flop:
[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7]
Villain checks
BET Hero , $ 15 USD
RAISE Villain, $ 30 USD
CALL Hero , $ 15 USD

Turn:
[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T]
BET Villain, $ 30 USD
CALL Hero , $ 30 USD

River:
[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J]
BET Villain, $ 30 USD
CALL Hero , $ 30 USD

Results in white below
<font color="white">
Villain shows [3c, 3d ]a pair of Threes </font>
Old 03-25-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Tough river call

always calling down on this kind of board is -EV IMO
Old 03-26-2007, 12:45 PM

You must fold that river. The rest is standard.
I think villain played fine. The river bet is thin but I like it.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM

That is a terrible turn and river to call here. You need him to have Qhi because 9-hi is almost impossible as is 8hi.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is a terrible turn and river to call here. You need him to have Qhi because 9-hi is almost impossible as is 8hi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am just really not sure how you can call this one down - I would be raising this allot more than calling it.....I prefer folding it though....
Old 03-26-2007, 01:29 PM

I fold this EVERY time fwiw...Our hand sucks, hasnt improved, and villan showed aggression, i think we are beat here 98% of the time (we see A high flush bluff sometimes, which also beats us!) The str8 potential is high and if he was drawing, he may have paired up in the process. only a Q high flush semi bluff leaves our K9 a winnar here and it happens about never.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:43 PM

If you just had a burning desire to spend that BB calling on the river it would have been better used three betting the flop.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:30 PM

I thought I had a clear call on the turn because of my K high flush draw, my gutshot and possibly a 9 or a K was good for me as well.
I didn't like raising the flop or the turn because villain seemed aggressive enough to fire back at me with a good flushdraw.

On the river I think I beat K4, K8, Q8, or Q9 with a heart. True that are not many hands, and he might not even bet them all the way. Looking back I now think I should have folded.

At the time I did not think it was likely that he would bet an Ace or a small pair. So that made the chance that he was bluffing a little bigger, possibly bigger than 12.5%. That's also a reason that I posted this, I wanted to know if many of you would bet the river with a hand like his.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:47 PM

Turn is a super easy call. Danzasmack is just saying the combo of those turn and river cards make the relative strength of your hand pretty much disappear.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 PM

You can call the river if the turn and river are say offsuit deuces and treys. But the J and T just hit a lot of the draws he could have been semibluffing.

And no, the river bet with 33 probably isn't that good, although he's in an ugly spot overall. His flop check/raise was pretty horrid too. Then again, if you call down as light as K high on this board on a semi-frequent basis, I'm gonna open up my valuebetting range against you.