Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Iran - Do you think it\'s time for impeachment?

Short Video

Transcript below. I have been very busy with a new job the last few months, so much that I'm barely following current events. Would be interested to hear some educated opinions on this.

[ QUOTE ]
My fellow Americans. We are in an interesting condition in this country, where we are told to take impeachment off the table, and keep on the table a U.S. military attack against Iran.

This really calls for a new thinking. It calls for us to reconsider very deeply the moment that we're in – where our Constitution is being trashed, where international law is being violated, where our hopes and dreams for the education of our children, for the health of our people, for housing, for our veterans, are being set aside as we go deeper and deeper into war.

We need a whole discussion in America. And with your help, we're about to have one.

This past week, in the Congress of the United States, I noted that the administration has threatened aggressive war against Iran. This is a violation of the UN charter. Charters are treaties. Article 6 of the Constitution of the United States says that treaties are the law of our land, the supreme law of our land.

It's illegal to threaten aggressive war against another nation. Iran has no ability to attack us. And they do not have the intention to attack the United States.

We are at a moment in human history where we have to make a decision whether we are going to go deeper into war, or whether we are going to take a stand on behalf of peace.

I determined a long time ago to take that stand on behalf of peace. And I want to enlist you and enroll you in taking that same stand.

We cannot let this administration go any deeper into this journey, into destroying democratic governance, trashing our Constitution, forgetting the very purpose of this nation. America was never meant to be a nation forever on the warpath. It was meant to be a nation which also had the capacity to “Promote the General Welfare.”

We need to reevaluate the direction of this administration by looking at its conduct in office, by determining whether it has faithfully followed the laws of our nation.

I'm prepared to start that process. I began this week with a speech on the floor of the House, which warned the administration that its actions toward Iran already constitute a case to ask the question about impeachment.

So I'm asking you, what do you think?
Do you think it's time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-20-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Iran - Do you think it\'s time for impeachment? *DELETED*

Post deleted by iron81
Old 03-20-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Iran - Do you think it\'s time for impeachment?

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like this jackass is only going through the motions to garner support for his 2008 election.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he hire Cindy Sheehan as his new speech writer? No it couldn't be her...too many multi-syllabic words. Must be Mr. Sarandon or his husband Susan.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like this jackass is only going through the motions to garner support for his 2008 election.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why exactly do you consider Kucinich a "jackass"? He's by far the most intelligent dem candidate, IMO...
Old 03-20-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he hire Cindy Sheehan as his new speech writer? No it couldn't be her...too many multi-syllabic words. Must be Mr. Sarandon or his husband Susan.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is the only candidate (afaik, unless this has changed since the 2004 election) that actually writes his own speaches.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:22 AM

btw, I am much more interested in discussion of the issue in his speech than dumb personal attacks on one of the few politicians in the US that walks the talk. This post really has nothing to do with Kucinich, yet the only two replies so far ignore the topic and bash the man.

What specifically in that speech is not true, if anything? If not, do you agree with his implied conclusion?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:43 AM

I did not read anything in the UN Charter that outlawed a threat of war. More importantly, I don't see how any US law could constitutionally make it illegal to say that the US should consider attacking Iran.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Risk of Ruin

The United States is very busy these days in Europe. There's an all-out public relations and lobbying effort to convince European leaders that a new round of armaments is actually good for everyone - including Russia...

[ QUOTE ]
The American three-star general Henry Obering patiently answered each question, taking plenty of time to make sure nobody could claim later that US allies hadn't been properly informed. The director of the US Missile Defense Agency had come to Brussels to meet with the 26 ambassadors from NATO members and Russia, who sat like obedient schoolboys in the darkened hall at NATO's headquarters listening to Obering for an hour and a half last Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ] And what was Washington's and the general's pitch?

That Europe "needs additional and improved missiles", starting from the soils of Poland and the Czech Republic (currently polling at around two thirds of the population opposing the prospect), because of the threat from ..Iran.

Der Spiegel report

Some people might argue that getting prepared is never a bad thing. You know, Sic Vis Pacet, Para Bellum and that sort of thing. Or, that it's not missiles that kill people, it's people that kill people, etc. Personally, I tend to cite an old saying about theatrical plays: If you see a gun on the wall in the first act, you can bet it's gonna be used by the third act.

They keep piling up guns on the wall. And we, the audience, watch and wait.

Mickey Brausch
Old 03-20-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Iran has no ability to attack us.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can anybody say/believe this? NO ability? Nonsense.

[ QUOTE ]
And they do not have the intention to attack the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly hope not but to plan policy on hope is a poor choice. Besides, how is HE to know what Iran's intentions are?

He forgot to sing 'Kumbaya'. Someone please send him a note to add it in.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:01 AM

They havent expressed any wish to do harm upon the US as far as im aware, but then i wouldnt be shocked if a money quote could be found.

But i disagree that they have any capability to attack the US, show me how they could by all means though.