Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 01:45 PM

Default how to play Q 8

$3/6 live. loose/passive game. i've shown down a lot of winning hands, i think seen as playing tighter than most players (but still fairly loose).

i call in late position with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with two early position callers. It goes unraised with 5 players to the flop.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

One of the early position player bets out, one call, then its on me...

i decided to raise. I really think that the early position better probably has a Q (better kicker) than me to lead out, but i feel that i still need to see showdown with my queen, but i want to see it cheaply as possible. I plan to check behind on turn and call one bet on river if bet into. this also gives me a cheaper time to catch my 8 for two pair.

the other likely holding of early position better is medium pair, but i'm not sure what this line is like ev versus medium pocket pairs. if i get checked to on the river (assuming blanks on turn/river), i might value bet on river and they might call me down with a couple eights, versus just folding on turn, although this gives them free chance to hit set. sorry for the rambling, advice appreciated.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: how to play Q 8

I agree that if you are going to play this hand a raise on the flop is good. Tough one with that kicker though. I suppose play as you did, if you go UI on the turn and lots of action its an easy outtathere 4u. That is a tough one when you play a hand like Q8s, dont even flop a BD flush draw but you connect with top pair with a weak kicker.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 PM

Raise the flop and bet into one or at most two callers on the turn as long as no one cold calls. Any more action or players I check fold the turn. Take a free showdown if you can get it since you are in position.

Betting the turn gives you fold equity at the same price as your line but if you run into resistance be quick to dump this. And fold preflop with this unless it is 1/2 bet to you in the sb.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:30 PM

I usually fold this preflop in this situation. I'd want more callers to consider playing it. As played, I raise the flop and lead the turn if checked to. Based upon the specific players, I'd either value bet the river or take a free showdown. I'd also dump the hand to any additional strength shown by the other players.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:41 PM

ya, i'm going to try to fold this pf more. my adjustment to b&m over the last 6 months or so has made me a much more loose pf player, unfortunately. but this scenario made me realize a little more about why Q8 is a pretty difficult hand to play postflop.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:56 PM

Yea it is a tough hand to play. Even K8 suited can be tough at times as well. I usually tend to fold Q8s PF more than I play it.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 PM

Here is something that I found out at a pretty price. Fold preflop. 1, not enough players in the hand to call
2, If you would of folded this hand you wouldn't be in this situation and probably save quite a bit of money long term.
later
Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 PM

Also seeing as people at 3/6 like to play and cold call Axs it can make it hard to play Qxs as well.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:05 PM

your raise is good and so is your plan

you are playing at a passive table and you were able to get in for 1 bet with a flush draw in late position v 4 others...it may be a small error coming in here, but i play it sometimes in hope to win big with good post flop play

the flop cards complete an good bluffing situation (only drawback is there may be one too many players here)...no A or K, no 2 suits and only 1 high card with 2 rags, AND the pot was unraised preflop...so the first person betting the flop may well be on a bluff, and you raising is good as it will probably drive out players yet to act plus may push out the flop bettor if bluffing
Old 03-20-2007, 04:42 PM

when you guys post live hands you REALLY need to give some sort of read on your opponents' tendencies. at least the specifics on the main villain(s). not having this info makes the hand almost impossible to properly analyze.

that said...

generally speaking, UI i'm putting in no more than 2BB postflop. i would prefer raising the flop, bet/folding the turn, checking the river.