Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Removing/masking an odor

I'm renting a room for a few months and after a week or so of living here I've realized my room stinks. Thus I have:

-dry cleaned my comforter
-washed sheets/clothes
-dusted/swept
-no dishes/food
-there is a small, new, rug in the room. otherwise it's hardwood

I shower and don't stink. At this point I've given up finding out what the odor is and just want to remove it or mask it. I don't really have a preference (making my room smell like vanilla or making it smell like nothing are the same as far as I'm concerned). I just want something that will work.

So, any of those plug-in devices work well for making my room smell good or, more importantly, making sure it doesn't smell bad? Daily Febreeze is possible, but annoying, so I'd rather have something more permanent. Thoughts/experiences?

Danke.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Removing/masking an odor

What does it smell like?

I use a combo of vanilla candles, and those little glade plug in oil scent things, but my apartment doesnt smell, I just liek the vanilla.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does it smell like?

I use a combo of vanilla candles, and those little glade plug in oil scent things, but my apartment doesnt smell, I just liek the vanilla.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno how to describe smells well...I guess I'd say wet dog type smell, but it's a little sharper? I don't even know what that means.

Candles, sprays, etc. might work great, but since there is a permanent smell I want something that I can have going at all times- a plugin device maybe, oils in a bowl, baking soda (?) I dunno.

Do you think those little plug ins would overcome a smell and turn the room vanilla or would it just mix or be masked (how strong are they I wonder?). And it looks like there are some cheap like $4 glade plug-ins but also $20 ones which I guess I'd try figuring they'd be better.

Regardless, thanks for the advice.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:23 PM

wet dog? Could be some kind of moisture problem, I had it in my place, I got this stuff and it removed the mold smell:

http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com....asp?cat=56350

the glade plugins + some open windows, will pretty much eliminate most smells, or at least cover them so they are unnoticeable, and you only have to replace then once a month.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:25 PM

Good tips here:

http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/tips/a/blvinodor.htm

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:36 PM

Well start febreezing everything, it eliminates odors, havent you seen the commercial?!? Then after you febreeze just get some of those air fresheners that work all the time. The oil ones or whateveryou mentioned.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:36 PM

There's a dead dude under the floorboards. But there might be some treasure as well. Or a secret spy code. I love finding secret spy codes. I'd like to make a secret spy code movie. I'd be the dude who finds the code. The code is a bad-ass code, the type of code that bad dudes will kill for and hot chicks will sleep to get. There'd be a lot of killing, but even more bonking. And I'd always get away by the skin of my teeth. There'd also be a snowmobile chase. Snowmobile chases are cool. With lots of killing, and then obviously lots of bonking afterwards. And then at the end I'd read the code and it would transform me into a hunky-dory dude who could turn womens underwear into gerbils.

You better dig up that floor, dude.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:39 PM

The kids who moved into the house that I grew up in, if they ever redo thier basement, are going to find tons of codes and secret maps that me and my brother stuck behind teh walls wehn we were kids. They dont lead to anything cool though.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The kids who moved into the house that I grew up in, if they ever redo thier basement, are going to find tons of codes and secret maps that me and my brother stuck behind teh walls wehn we were kids. They dont lead to anything cool though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not then, but they might do now. Don't undersetimate the power of secret codes. That's why they are secret. That's probably what's happening at the OP's house. The bad dude needs to get the scret code, but he's a wimpy bad dude with a bad case of narcolepsy, so he's stinking our hero out of his home, in the hope that he can then sneak in and get the secret code.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not then, but they might do now. Don't undersetimate the power of secret codes. That's why they are secret. That's probably what's happening at the OP's house. The bad dude needs to get the scret code, but he's a wimpy bad dude with a bad case of narcolepsy, so he's stinking our hero out of his home, in the hope that he can then sneak in and get the secret code.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, thats a definite possibility, but there might be some suspicions raised when they realize that all the maps are drawn in crayon