Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 09:25 PM

Default some protein questions

hi i've recently become more interested in nutrition and overall health, so right now I'm trying to construct a more balanced diet. right now i'm looking at proteins

1) I read this in an article: "People striving to increase their lean muscle mass as fast as possible, generally go for whey, egg, and animal proteins. Athletes that participate in endurance sports, such as running marathons, embrace sources such as soy, corn, rice, peanuts, and wheat."

I don't really get why different proteins would have different effects on the body. Can someone explain this?

2) How much protein should I eat every day? I've heard 15-20% of my calories should be protein and anything after that is just converted to fat. and I've even heard 30% and 40% is fine too. Does this just depend on your goals? for instance, i'm more interested in fitness rather than building muscle, so I shouldn't consume more than 20% because anything over that would be wasted. would that be correct thinking?

3) maybe a more general question, but should I just avoid soy protein altogether? I've read about prolonged consumption of soy leading to depressed testosterone levels, but it would be kind of hard for me to avoid soy altogether (soy sauce is very prevalent in my diet, and a little bit of soy milk). I think i could eat it "in moderation" but I get the impression from articles that even constantly eating a little bit every day can lead to testosterone deficiency as well. Any thoughts?

thanks for the help

PS can anyone recommend other forums or websites that are like "the gym." i feel like i've already learned a lot just browsing this place [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and was wondering what other good places there are on the net for "the gym"-related topics.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: some protein questions

1) Its lame and wrong.
2) Use a Zone diet.
3) I don't think its so much test depression as estrogen elevation. But yeah actively avoiding large amounts of probably isn't a bad thing. Like eating an entire brick of tofu would be bad. Having 3 ounces of soy milk probably won't kill you though.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:08 PM

Quick answers:

1) Whey, eggs, and animal meats are actual protein sources with good amino acid profiles. Corn, rice, peanuts, and wheat are primarily carbohydrates with some protein.

2) Absolutely not. Depending on your weight, training, and goals, your protein intake can be anyhere between 1 to 2 grams/lb of bodyweight.

3) Avoid soy. You don't have to eliminate it.

Other forums and websites: t-nation, bodybuilding.com, crossfit.com
Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 PM

It really depends on your goals. Your goals and biochemical individuality will determine the correct mix of the macronutrients.

The macronutrients are: protein, carbohydrates and fat. A rough guide is:

- Protein - 15% to 25%
- Carbs - 45% to 75%
- Fat - 10% to 30%

Chris Carmichael (Lance Armstrong's trainer) in "Food for Fitness" suggests:

- Protein - 18%
- Carbs - 60%
- Fat - 22%
...and keep in mind that this is leaning somewhat toward the endurance athlete.

Whey, egg and animal sources are known as "complete" proteins. That is, these contain all eight "essential" amino acids. They're called "essential" because the body cannot produce them. The human body actually requires something like 20 amino acids, but can produce all but the 8 essential ones from the food you eat.

As for soy products, if you eat a varied, nutrient-rich diet, the soy products won't hurt you.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:12 PM

are the estrogen levels in soy really that high?

won't your body regulate that stuff anyway unless you are eating it all day long?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are the estrogen levels in soy really that high?

won't your body regulate that stuff anyway unless you are eating it all day long?

[/ QUOTE ]

They contain weak acting estrogens that bind to your receptors. You have more receptors than estrogen so it increase the effect.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:47 PM

Soy is perfectly fine in a varied, well-balanced diet.

Problems typically occur with extremely limited food choices.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Soy is perfectly fine in a varied, well-balanced diet.

Problems typically occur with extremely limited food choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, these effects will occur unless all your receptors are already full (ultra unlikely, unless you have perky B cups).
Old 04-11-2007, 07:02 PM

Thremp, I think you overestimate the negative effects of soy. We don't exactly have an entire continent of Asians walking around with manboobs. Soy in moderation is fine -- just don't expect soy protein to be a muscle builder or even an adequate substitute for animal protein.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:41 PM

Huh?

Now, OMG, I'm totally messed up! I had some edamame with my sushi tonight!

Chill out a bit Thremp. Seriously...

jb2