Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 02:43 AM

Default restaurants unique to your college town

I feel like every college town has some unique restaurants famous amongst their area.

Let's hear a top 3 or top 5, what the restaurant is, what it serves and why it's special.

<u>University of Maryland</u> -

1) Danny's - claims world's greatest hamburger. while this is incorrect, they do have amazing drunk/late-night food, most notably their cheesy fries.

2) Ratsie's - best pizza/hot wings in town. kinda expensive, but a must-visit for anybody hungry after the bars. definitely the best pizza and most delicious wings in college park.

3) Cluck-U - chicken joint specializing in fried chicken, chicken sandwiches, etc. also stars local rap celebrity "Cluck-U Pac," who has music videos online.

note that this thread does not want to hear about chain restaurants such as papa johns, coldstone creamery, etc. only list what your college is unique for.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Re: restaurants unique to your college town

Western Illinois University

The International Sandwich Shop AKA ISS. This is the best sub place I have ever been to. I go there about 3 times a week. The best bread I have ever had. I go there so often the people who work there know what I am going to order when I walk in. The only problem is the guy who owns the place is a complete tool. One example of his toolishness if you order a sub that comes with provolone and you want american cheese it will cost a dollar to change. WTF?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:58 AM

what is that place at maryland with the calzones that is open real late? it's good
Old 03-10-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is that place at maryland with the calzones that is open real late? it's good

[/ QUOTE ]

DP Dough? they have like 40+ calzones. it's tight.

make sure to tell what's so special about your town, guys. i want to hear what's unique about the restaurant.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:10 AM

University of Illinois

La Bamba- greatest drunk burritos and super nachos ever, open late- burritos as big as your head
Bonnie Jeans- 2 big slices of pizza for $4. above a bar and only way to get there is by going up a single stairwell where the top is just the counter and where they make the pizzas'. excellent cuz its so greasy and cheesy when drunk
Old 03-10-2007, 03:22 AM

Burger King, Jimmy Johns, and Pita Pit

do i win?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:23 AM

yep you totally get the point of the thread. /thread. thanks
Old 03-10-2007, 04:22 AM

Washburn University

1. The Pad- Locally owned joint that got big enough to open two stores. Famous for its butter burgers and salad bar!

2. Seabrook Tavern-Know for its 64 oz. burger...eat it and the meal is free!

3. Bobo's-Popular drive in burger joint...cheap food that tastes good!

4. Porubsky's Deli-Know for its hot pickles(unbearable) and award winning chili! Owners are of Russian descent and got an area of town nicknamed "little Russia."

5. Prize Package- legendary burgers...only open a few hours a day and packed the entire time!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 AM

bump to add some from my hometown of Charlottesville, Va. (home of <u>University of Virginia</u>)

Bodo's - very popular bagel place that has three different stores around town. friendly atmosphere, great bagels, very cheap. great place to take visitors.

Littlejohn's - 24/7 sandwich shop that makes big sandwiches for cheap. nice and sloppy, my favorite is the cheesesteak and the Wild Turkey sandwich.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
University of Illinois

La Bamba- greatest drunk burritos and super nachos ever, open late- burritos as big as your head

[/ QUOTE ]

We have one of these at Illinois State as well. It is not nearly as popular as the one at UIUC though. I assume it is because of location (the one at uiuc is on west side of Green St. isn't it?).

I honestly don't know what ISU has that is ONLY at ISU. I will throw out a couple that could be unique or could be everywhere, just ones I hadn't heard of before....

Emach and Boilo's (sp) - I am pretty sure this is super popular and everywhere, but I'm mentioning it becuase I'd never heard of it, and they have a guitar painted on the building. I was in shock at how awesome that was.

Brewha's Bar - This is some hole in the wall sort of bar. It isn't very big. What makes it awesome though is $2 burger baskets. A delicious burger loaded with lettuce, tomato, etc and a side of fries for $2 after tax.

Okay that is all I can think of and I bet both are popular. So apologies to OP but I tried my best.