Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Ruling question, Villan mucks, I misread my hand.

This is a weekly 1/2NL cash game with the same guys (usually). Villan raises PF and gets 1 caller, me. Flop comes AK9 with 2 spades...Villan bets $50 I call, Turn comes 3c he bets again I call. The river comes an 8c he checks, I check. I say "I have an 8." He replies " guess my sevens are no good then" and throws his cards into the muck.I look down at my cards and see that I don't have and 8 I have T7 of spades. I look back up and say "you already mucked so I guess I win anyway." Someone at the table pepes up and says you cant lie like that! That's [censored]! I say it was an accident and I didnt lie on purpose, after all, if I was going to lie about my hand why whould I say I had an 8 instead of saying an Ace or 2 pair of something. Either way now villan is pissed off and says he is leaving. So what is the ruling? I think because its a home game there can be some exception but otherwise a mucked hand is a fold.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Ruling question, Villan mucks, I misread my hand.

I would give him the pot or at least offer to chop, but then, the ppl I play with are my friends. If you can't let stuff like this go, you really need to have a clear set of rules that everybody is aware of and accepts.

My 0.02
Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would give him the pot or at least offer to chop, but then, the ppl I play with are my friends. If you can't let stuff like this go, you really need to have a clear set of rules that everybody is aware of and accepts.

My 0.02

[/ QUOTE ] I agree. The thing is, everyone keeps calling it a friendly game but we're all there to try and take everyone else's money. I think we are friends to a point but on the table business is business. The pot was like over $400 we split it up but not evenly. I let villan keep the majority.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:18 PM

When someone mucks because of a mis-declared hand, that person can be awarded the pot. I don't have the time to search through it, but I'm pretty sure this is in Robert's Rules.

Don't be a nit. Rules are in place to protect people. The muck is not some mystical fairy land that dissolves cards. If you can tell which cards are the other guy's, pull them out and verify his claim. If not, it should be at least a chop, but if you take him at his word, give him the pot. Rulings should protect the integrity of the game, not the technicalities of procedure. Usually these two coincide, but sometimes you need to think a little bit.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:38 PM

Pot is his, you get a KITN for trying to keep the pot.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:44 AM

Now I feel bad about what happened. I guess I got caught up in the emotion of the whole hand, plus I was drinking. I should of had him pull out his cards and show the sevens and then award him the pot. At least his wife ended up winning about 1k. The whole reason I posted this was because I felt like I made a bad judgement. I probably looked like a real douche.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"you already mucked so I guess I win anyway."

[/ QUOTE ]

nit.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I feel bad about what happened. I guess I got caught up in the emotion of the whole hand, plus I was drinking. I should of had him pull out his cards and show the sevens and then award him the pot. At least his wife ended up winning about 1k. The whole reason I posted this was because I felt like I made a bad judgement. I probably looked like a real douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is refreshing to have an OP change his mind rather than remain committed to not being wrong. Remember the guy who shot and wounded a friend but said it didn't count because it was just a small caliber?
You may have looked like a douche, but you are going to looked like enlightenment personified when you apologize to the guy.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 PM

Here is the applicable rule:

2. Cards thrown into the muck may be ruled dead. However, a hand that is clearly identifiable may be retrieved at management's discretion if doing so is in the best interest of the game. We will make an extra effort to rule a hand retrievable if it was folded as a result of incorrect information given to the player.

If I'm villain, I'm not happy at all and will look to management to correct this in my favour.