Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 04:45 PM

Default 20/40 Kill, oop w/ 3way action

Live game, players involved are all TAGish, observant and thinking players. BB is LAGish, good player.
Seat 1: Hero SB w/ 99.
Kill in Seat 6. Folds to post, kill post checks, CO raises 80, I call.
BB calls, poster calls. 4 way to flop for 320.
Flop: Kd9s4d.
SB bets. BB calls. Poster folds, CO raises. I call, BB calls. (Pot $560)
Turn 6s.
SB bets 80.
BB calls 80.
CO raises 160.
SB calls, BB calls.
Pot (1040).
River, 6c.
I bet, BB folds, CO calls. Pot: (1200).

Issues: #1: Hand range for CO. #2: Turn action.
There might be more to this hand then meets the eye. Though I still think my line wasn't optimal, it may be closer than I thought.

Issue #1. Though CO opening range is wide, based on how play unfolded the range I put him on is (AA[x6], KK[x3], AsKs[x1]) So, I'm ahead here 7:3, but factor in 44 and AKo (though based on player history AKoff would not play it this strong on turn, 44 unlikely due to kill pot) and weird ass bluff raises and anyway, lets round up and say I'm 5:2, or 71% ahead, 29% behind his range. BB looks like he has a draw, though I wasn't thinking of combo draws at the time or AK, 44 etc. AKo more likely for BB than CO, imo.

Issue #2: Reasoning for turn: Should I have 3bet? prob. Why? How much more do I win? How does the equity change heads up?

To be honest, I was looking to extract absolute max money here, and (stupidly) was willing to risk the pot to the draw. I think as played when I'm winning I end up making the same amount of Big bets (5) as I would've if I had 3bet turn and if draw folded.
But if draw called turn I would've made 6BBs, possibly 7 if I get called down (by AA)? Also there was a chance I could make several BB on river on some cards (c/r, b/3bet) if played incorrectly by opponents (9d, Ks, 6d?), especially if I only call the turn (they still should think AK is big part of my range here, I think i gave off good fake tells and played it slowy/tricky). Remember I'm looking to squeeze the draw and the vulnerable made hand (presumably).

Also, If I 3bet turn, chance that both players (incorretly) fold, and I only make 3BB, but with zero risk. But, that would've pissed me off...

Constant factor as well is losing the min. # of BB when I'm behind and extracting the max. equity when I'm ahead. Positioning is key throughout the hand I think.

Comments on other streets welcome (PF, flop). I like my flop call turn lead line oop, though maybe I'm misguided in this thinking.

CO had: <font color="white"> AsKs </font>
Old 03-19-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Kill, oop w/ 3way action

Your play seems really inconsistent to me.

I think you need to 3-bet the flop and work from there, but absent that, I think bet-call is the worst line. I like bet-3bet if he'll raise a donkbet with AK or AA, and I like a check-raise if you want to get 2 bets in there while applying maximum pressure to BB.

-d
Old 03-19-2007, 04:53 PM

I 3-bet preflop. I bet the flop. I jam the flop as much as possible. Jam the turn.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet preflop. I bet the flop. I jam the flop as much as possible. Jam the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:06 PM

I like a pf 3bet as well, but not always. (how about a fold?) Jamming the flop kills your chances of any action on later streets. Does this matter to you?

Everyone plays more cautious on a kill pot during the big streets!

No more thin value bets (but sometimes big bluff-raise), or auto-calls. Having the kill on encourages people to play correctly on later streets I think (esp. good thinking opponents). So oop you only make 2bb on turn, maybe 1 on river (though opponents could be 50/50 to fold AK).

This is not the B or comm., can't just jam all the time.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:33 PM

Definitely 3-bet preflop. Its really not even close.

As played, just play it fast and jam the flop.

-ActionBob
Old 03-19-2007, 05:50 PM

"I like a pf 3bet as well, but not always. (how about a fold?)"

WTF ??
Old 03-19-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jamming the flop kills your chances of any action on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

why does this even matter if you're not going to 3-bet the turn?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:37 PM

You need to be rasing any chance you get with this hand.

Preflop, definitely three bet, you need to get this heads up with the steal rasier, and this hand definitely doesnt play well four handed out of postion if the poster and BB oth call the one bet.

FLOP: I like the lead a lot, trying to trap the BB between me and the PFR, I would probably have 3 bet him, but a case can be made for a three bet if you feel there is a possibility the turn could get checked through.

Once He raises your turn bet going three bets is automatic. If the BB is drawing you only collect fromhim befroe the river soget those bets in.

River plays it self at this pont against pretty much anyone.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:38 PM

I hate the lack of jamming on the flop. The board is just too draw heavy to even think of slowplaying. Raise, raise, raise on the flop, and do the same on turn. If one of those people who folded river had a draw, you missed bets from them on turn.

As for pre, I like a call in these games when they're laggy and weak, but if this game is fairly tight, I'd probably reraise pre 50%, call 50%.