Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Ughh UCLA Instate Requirements

Background: I'm 21 - My parents live out of the country and have for about 1.5 years. I've been on my own. I live in California now (past 2 months) and before that I lived in Vegas (6 months) and Massachusetts (12 months) at school.

I intend to live in Cali for a long time and want to continue my education at UCLA.

If this belongs in the dorm, I apologize, but I don't think a lot of the college students in there have the necessary knowledge to answer the question.

http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/residence/finindep.htm

I don't qualify for financial independence according to this because I think my parents put me on their tax returns as a dependent last year and I'm not 24 yet. Is there any way around this?

http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/residence/establish.htm

That's what you need to get the resident rate... I intend to live in cali for as long as I can.

Also, my more important question.

Is tuition tax deductible? - I.E. if I make 40k and tuition is 40k and I pay for tuition with that - would I owe taxes?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Ughh UCLA Instate Requirements

Are you looking to go back to school in a year or something? I'm pretty confused by your post.

Also, were you actually a dependent during the year they claimed you?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:07 AM

I was on my own from June 2005-Now.

I borrowed money from my parents to pay for parts of school in for the 2005-2006 year that I paid back. I paid for all my own stuff to live etc...

I moved to Vegas in May 2006 and have been supporting myself fully since.

I'm looking to go back to school asap - ideally when I can establish Cali residency. So probably next January.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:11 AM

I think playing poker is going to make it really difficult on you. Seriously though, make an appointment to sit down with someone at UCLA and get the real dirt on it.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:39 AM

Tuiton is only partially tax deductable and only for two years of your education I believe (this is a few years old). It's possible your parents already took the tuition credit thing (forget what it is called) which may mean you can't. I'll take a look into it and try to get you a better answer later today.

Your tuition at UCLA will not be $40k anyways though. Also, I'm sure you've thought of this, but are your grades good enough to transfer into UCLA?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
undergraduate students: the student is an unmarried undergraduate student and was not claimed as an income tax deduction by parents or any other individual for the two tax years immediately preceding the term for which resident classification is requested, and can demonstrate self-sufficiency for those two years and the current year

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only part that applies to you. If your parents claimed you last year, you've got two more years to wait. Even if you can get them to ammend their return last year, you have another year to wait.

You are paying non-resident fees for at least a year or two.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 AM

I'd appreciate that Metetron.

I got a 1520 SATS and had I think a 3.1 or 3.2 for 1 year of college. Avg GPA was like 2.57 or something.

Dunno if that's good enough, but I've had enough of this poker thing. I can't wait to go back to school and live again ya know?

It's either San Diego State University or UCLA. Both of them have the fraternity that I'm in, which will make the transition easier.

UCLA avg sat was like 1400, so it might be a stretch.

I think SDSU would take a poker playing degenerate who's had to support himself for awhile just to boost their SAT avg a lil.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:46 AM

I'm not going to type out an explanation for this, let me know if you have any questions. College income tax credits/adjustments:

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq7-4.html
Old 03-06-2007, 10:03 AM

This [censored] is like chinese to me... so you pay the tuition and your taxes and they refund you a certain amount like $2000 if you take hope credits?

This country is such [censored] that taxes make it almost impossible to even pay for school. Jesus.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 AM

1) Have you completed two years of college yet?

2) Have your parents taken the Hope Credit for you in any of the past 2 years?

Edit:

3) Will you make more than $55,000 in the year you are going to college at UCLA?

If the answer to 3 is yes, then you mine as well forget about any of this. You get nothing.