Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 10:49 AM

Default How do you play against LPP villains like these?

How do you play with villains who appear to be SOOOOOOOOOOO passive? SB 35/6/0.4 BB 33/8/0.2

They were calling everything, and here I am relieved that no overs come, and what do you know? I was crushed.

So this isnt a normal STRAT post in the sense of what do you think about my line, but more of a TACTICS post of how do you exploit these types of players.

Do you assume that their calls mean a reraise from a normal TAG?

Do you just soldier on, knowing that they will also be calling to the river with A9o or even A7s?

I see a couple of these guys at the table, now and again, and their loose passive stats are (normally) one of the juiciest attributes of the game, but perhaps I am overplaying my hand here.

Or perhaps I am letting the outcome effect my judgement.

Thanks for any passive calling station advice.

Todd

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (12SB, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8BB, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 folds.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (11BB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Results:
Final pot: 14BB
<font color="#ffffff">SB showed Kc Kd</font>
<font color="#ffffff">Hero showed Jd Jc</font>
<font color="#ffffff">BB mucks Qs Qd</font>
Old 03-16-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: How do you play against LPP villains like these?

What else can you do if they're not raising you? Open fold?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:54 AM

Thank him for saving you money and move on. Get a post flop read against these guys, but in general, if they raise you can fold without 2 pair or better (depending on pot odds to counterfeit of course if it's the turn.) Just be thankful they let you play basically perfect poker most of the time and then let you get away losing the minimum when you don't.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:02 AM

I dont think there is any other way you can play that hand.

You will make way more money betting Jacks as you did and seeing them turn over middle pair or top pair on the board with those kind of players.

The main adjustment I make with guys like that is just to not play drawing hands like overcards with no other draws as aggressively as they will never fold a better hand
Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM

Also I think Absolution has a good point that from a Fundamental Theorem of Poker perspective they are the ones losing money and not you as they are playing about as incorrect as they could be if they could see your cards
Old 03-16-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you just soldier on, knowing that they will also be calling to the river with A9o or even A7s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. On this flop, you'd be happy to cap the flop and lead the turn, call down to a raise. That's an awful lot of money you saved there. Just shrug it off and type a "LOL" in the chatbox.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:28 AM

It was my second to last hand, and I had already counted my chickens, so to speak, so I was mighty irate!!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:30 AM

lol,

yes, I HATE it when you get JJ having the auto-post box already ticked off. You just KNOW you're gonna loose a massive pot. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 AM

Location: Hastings 3L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you played it perfectly. Just value bet them all day. Sometimes they will surprise you and turn over a monster, but who cares, they let you off easy.

It also means that if they ever raise you look the hell out, so they are easy to read.

Here they just called, so you have no idea what they have. More likely than not they'll have a hand you beat so value bet. Doubly important, if they ever have you crushed they will make it real obvious so you can just fold. These are the perfect opponents. Just bet like a machine until they raise, then drop.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:24 PM

todd,

playing against lPP's can be really frustrating cos it's very hard to read them. but it is soooooooo profitable!

two reasons
1) they play way too many hands and pad the pot PF, they also stay in these posts too long to pad it more.
2) if the EVER raise, they might as well turn over their hand.

just make a note: 'uber passive' for this hand. and if you ever see him raise, fold your non-monster holdings.

this is waht it is like at bodog as well. annoying at times but SOOOOO profitable in the long run.