Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Random Weight Loss Trick #1

I love that The Gym is now around on 2p2. I lost 115 lbs during my first year of college (285 - 170) and started bodybuilding religiously after I learned what a calorie finally was at 18 years old. I read everything I can find and I can't wait to try and help out everyone that may be struggling to take a few pounds off or start lifting. I've got a bunch of different little weight loss tricks that I've picked up over the years.

1. Ice Water

Your body's 98.6 degree temperature is so crucial. You gotta ship it some ice water. When you put 0 degree C water in your body, your body has to turn it into ~37 degree C in order to use it for bodily functions. The energy your body uses to do so results in burnt calories just by putting it in your body. 1 - 8 ounce glass of ice water will burn 17.5 calories just by converting it. Sooo, if you fill up a 1 gallon bottle with ice water in the morning and keep it cold all day while you drink it then at the end of that gallon your body will have burnt 280 calories with no work on your part except for swallowing that cold azz water all day. If you watch the calories burnt meter on a stair stepper it generally takes about 20 minutes at a medium level to accomplish this burn rate of calories.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Random Weight Loss Trick #1

nice, sofisdad, do you mind if we add our own? making this a soft of tricks to help thread?

my trick...take a shot of vinegar before a heavy carb meal...this will increase insulin sensitivity and prevent the carbs from hanging around and turning into fat...if you google vinegar and weight loss you can find some studies (although there is not much hard evidence, its something i heard someone say so i googled it, so use at your own risk)...also, drink the shot slowly, if you shoot it like a normal shot you will burn the hell out of your throat...
Old 03-14-2007, 05:07 PM

Ice water is a very good trick. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:09 PM

Hell no I don't mind! Rock this thread out as much as humanly possible. Knowledge should be shared.

I'm glad you listed the vinegar trick, I'd heard of it some years ago but never tried it. It makes sense!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 PM

icewater.. wow for the past 6 years I've been a huge proponent of room temperature water. No real reason, that's just always how it was. I drink about 3-4 nalgene's worth of water a day, too. Thanks dude.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:24 PM

The ice water also helps quiet hunger pains. The locations in the brain that tell you thirst and hunger are extremely close together. If you feel extremely hungry, 75% of the time you just haven't drank enough. Water will also fill a lot of empty space in the stomach which will reduce how much food you can handle in one sitting if you've drank a glass or 2 before you start eating. Most overweight people will eat until they are 'full'. Water will take the place of the food you would otherwise need to feel full.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:29 PM

If someone is just going for weight loss and not muscle gain in the gym, it can be beneficial to stay away from exercises that force your body to produce large amounts of human growth hormone like squats and deadlifts. The larger the amount of weight you use during repitions, the more HGH the body produces to handle the weight and repair the body for future use of exercises like this. Some people when trying to increase their bench press will cut back on repetitions in dead lifts and squats and do a higher weight so the body will spread more HGH around. Dead lifting and squats will actually make the other muscles in the body larger over time because of the excess HGH high weights will force it to produce. Sooo, during a strict weight loss period, try to stay away from those activities and focus on higher reps with lower weight.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone is just going for weight loss and not muscle gain in the gym, it can be beneficial to stay away from exercises that force your body to produce large amounts of human growth hormone like squats and deadlifts. The larger the amount of weight you use during repitions, the more HGH the body produces to handle the weight and repair the body for future use of exercises like this. Some people when trying to increase their bench press will cut back on repetitions in dead lifts and squats and do a higher weight so the body will spread more HGH around. Dead lifting and squats will actually make the other muscles in the body larger over time because of the excess HGH high weights will force it to produce. Sooo, during a strict weight loss period, try to stay away from those activities and focus on higher reps with lower weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, you are gonna get a lot of [censored] for this...

squat burns more cals than any other exercise at the gym [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2007, 06:33 PM

I only get half the number of calories, is my math off?

8 oz = 237 mL

237 mL * 37 degrees celsius / 1000 = 8.77 Calories

So only 140 calories for a full gallon of ice water. Not worth it for me since I prefer room temp water, but I guess every little bit helps.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Saunas
diuretics
Rubber suits
Ephedrine HCL
Ex-lax
Fiber caps
standing on your head before you get on scale
whiping off body sweat