Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Problem with the NHL or how to fix the NHL

Everyone is trying to elimante fighting from the NHL to boost ratings. All this is done is create a cheap shot league were sticks are useed instead.
Here is how I fix the NHL.

-First Eliminate the instgator rule. This will allow a team to take care of the guys that take advantage of the superstars. Ever seen a fan leave during a fight?
-Put in no touch icing. This will elinate the stupid injuries that occur in a race to touch the puck
-Make it 3 points for a win one for a tie that goes to a shootout.
- Elimiante the first row so you can make the rink larger(international size) Makes game more exciting and allows more room for the fast skaters.
- increase supspensions for stick work.
-eliminate the plastic shoulder and elbow pads. They are lethal weapons

As it is now the league is doomed in many US cities as the game is boring
Old 03-10-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Problem with the NHL or how to fix the NHL

I agree with everything you stated except for the shoulder pads.

But, contraction could be one of the best things for the NHL imo. The skill requied to play in the leauge would up. More than likely the NHL would be in major markets then and would be easier to market.

Btw if Bill Wirtz were to croak it would help the Blackhawks out a lot.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw if Bill Wirtz were to croak it would help the Blackhawks out a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT
Old 03-10-2007, 09:54 PM

First off, you need to keep in mind that the NHL doesn't do things logically.

Just recently at the GM meetings, the 3 pts for a win proposal was soundly rejected. If this were instituted, some teams would be out of the playoff race by the beginning of December. The current system allows for the races we are seeing right now, which in turn drives up rating and TV $$.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:10 PM

I don't ever watch the NHL but watch every game in last olympics because the game is better with the larger rink. Also 3 points for a win and 1 for a tie would be improvement.
It would also be better if they would just play 1 ten minute OT period and scrap the shootouts.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-First Eliminate the instgator rule. This will allow a team to take care of the guys that take advantage of the superstars. Ever seen a fan leave during a fight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here, there are tough guys for a reason and fighting has always been part of the game.

[ QUOTE ]
-Put in no touch icing. This will elinate the stupid injuries that occur in a race to touch the puck

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this particularly, since IMO it leads to more players deliberately not chasing down pucks, lazier, slower play overall, etc but I see where you're coming from

[ QUOTE ]
-Make it 3 points for a win one for a tie that goes to a shootout.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be 2 points for a win and 0 points for a loss. Forget the 1 point overtime award. No ties and no points for losing the game, imo.

[ QUOTE ]
- Elimiante the first row so you can make the rink larger(international size) Makes game more exciting and allows more room for the fast skaters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Complete agreement here as well.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The current system allows for the races we are seeing right now, which in turn drives up rating and TV $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, what ratings? I consider myself a vague hockey fan. That means, I am a Devils fan but I don't pay attention to them until at least 1 or 2 rounds into the playoffs. If they make it to the Conference Finals or Stanley Cup, then yea I tune in. Otherwise, I just don't care. I assume 90% of the population is the same as I am. Believe me, this points thing isn't the problem. Marketing the game so I get interested in it is the problem.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:38 PM

imo they really need to market their stars better. Maybe have mandatory English classes, I dunno. But imo the #1 problem with that there are no superstar players in terms of mass appeal. Crosby and Ovechkin would be on a billboard in every city in America right now if they played basketball.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
imo they really need to market their stars better. Maybe have mandatory English classes, I dunno. But imo the #1 problem with that there are no superstar players in terms of mass appeal. Crosby and Ovechkin would be on a billboard in every city in America right now if they played basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I agree. I mean, why follow a sport where you can't pronounce 2/3's of the names, let alone become fans of them?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:53 PM

Bigger ice surfaces do not make the game better. The Olympics are amazing because it's the best 150 players in the world all playing together, not because they have a bigger ice surface.

Even if NHL teams were willing to remove the front row seats (no way), I don't think it would have any positive affect on the game. European pro hockey is played on the bigger ice, and it's not better than the NHL.

Otherwise, I agree, and you watched Coach's Corner tonight [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]