Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Beauty in the World Argument vs Atheism

Hi all, first post.... dont expect it to be great.

It seems that this forum contains a lot of 'scientific' atheists. Ill define this term for the purpose of discussion as those that believe in the basics of the big bang, darwinism, and most importantly randomness in the creation of the world as it stands today. The scientific athiest believes that there is no purpose behind events and processes, merely scientific fact, movement of electrons etc.

I would argue that the sheer aesthetic pleasure in many things we see today disprove this theory as they contain too much 'beauty' to have been created through random scientific process. Regardless of the logical arguments that can be made with regards to patterns, desires etc, i feel that the degree of appreciation we feel deep down when we view certain things in the world today could not possibly have been made at random... to find some common ground on this simply look at Jessica Alba, Scarlett Johanssen, or Patrick Antonius if you swing that way =P

This is highly simplistic, yet it is the main reason why I have always found scientific atheism to be an impossible theory, and one of the key reasons why since the dawn of time people have looked for religion and stories to explain it.

I also can not believe, and consider those that say they do to be in at least some form of denial, that images like the one below were created at random and without purpose.

I would appreciate any countering opinions and hope noone feels that I am condescending in my views, in claiming others are in denial I am simply expressing my beliefs about others beliefs, im not in any way trying to argue that I am right. Also if this has been discussed before links would be good.