Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 AM

Default A couple of Stars .50/1 hands for review...

Just offering up a couple of hands for review here. Trying to plug any leaks I may have...

Hand #1
PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: (5.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

I led out as a continuation bet I guess, in hopes of ending it right there. Then, with two overs, a backdoor flush and backdoor straight draw, I didn't feel I should fold for one more bet here. But maybe I was wrong? Not sure what the check on the Turn really meant, and maybe I could have taken it down there? Should I have bet there? River check/fold ok?

Hand #2
PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (22 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 25 BB

OK, this was literally my FIRST hand at the table. Was it a big mistake to be calling the reraise fhere with AJs? I was really only looking for a JJx flop or a flush/flush draw - otherwise I was releasing the hand immediately. AJos, I would have released immediately to the reraise, but I guess the nut flush potential is what made me call. Should I have folded PF?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: A couple of Stars .50/1 hands for review...

Hand 1: I think that this is fine.

Hand 2: Fold AJo in the BB for 2, especially since you are not closing the action.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 AM

First is perfect - he's making a free-card play and there's no reason for you not to let him as you don't have a hand yourself. Fold on the river is good.

Second, fold pf. SB needs quite a read to think that Btn is iso-raising UTG. Then, he needs quite a hand to go over the top still. Compared to that range, you don't fare too well.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: Fold AJo in the BB for 2, especially since you are not closing the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have - but my AJ was suited. AJo I would have folded right away to the reraise, but I knew that even if I were up against AQ and AK, I had the nut flush possibility if the flop hit me right. Still shoulda been a fold, even suited?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:07 AM

On hand 1 I'm playing preflop and flop the same; When he checks thru the turn it looks like he got the free card he was looking for, landing his flush on the river.
There's very little chance he's bluffing the river here, and that he has also been bluffing the flop with nothing.
(Even if he is bluffing, it might be something like A4.)

Hand 2: I fold preflop. Your chance of flopping a flush is roughly 1/64 (slighty less), a flush draw less than 9/64, JJx is something like 18/2500 (0.72%).
All together, about 16% or 5 to 1 to "draw" your flop.
You are getting about 7 to 2, so with implied odds, you're close to getting the right odds. Calling is reasonable, but only if you're fairly sure you can get bets out of them if you hit.

Edit: this is fairly stupid... hitting your flush draw doesn't win the hand yet, it only gives you a 35% chance to win. If you take that into account, the roughly 9/64 chance for the FD only counts for 3/64 really.
Or, you only have 7% chance to make, requiring 13 to 1 odds. You clearly are nowhere near that, so it's an easy fold.
To be honest, I'm folding it without much thought in reality
Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 AM

I'd fold hand 2 preflop and pay close attention to how they play it and what they have.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have - but my AJ was suited. AJo I would have folded right away to the reraise, but I knew that even if I were up against AQ and AK, I had the nut flush possibility if the flop hit me right. Still shoulda been a fold, even suited?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that. I would still fold, becuase the range of most 3-bettors is very tite, AQ+, JJ+, so you are likely dominated. The sootedness is nice tho, and if you were closing the betting, I would be more likely to spew those bets, and try to hit the flop.

T
Old 03-14-2007, 10:26 AM

In hand 1 TT or 99 might play this way, but he might also be taking a free card with a flush draw (don't do that heads up.) Your flop call is standard. You have the outs to call there. I don't think you are good often enough on the river to make that call. If his pre-flop raise had of come later or the flush card didn't come in I would probably look him up because he's unknown.

In hand 2 fold this pre-flop. What are you hoping for here? You are dominated, probably in multiple ways, and don't have the odds to chase any draw given the action. You can not call 2 here looking for miracle flops. That is just throwing away money. You might as well call with 72o then. The button raise doesn't mean much, but the SB raising shows too much strength. Look what happened to. You ended up paying 3 with your pretty hand pre-flop and then had to fold post flop because of your absolute and relative position.