Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 09:17 AM

Default *OFFICIAL* 00T Kettlebell Thread -- Drink the Kool-Aide!

WARNING: Don't read unless you're prepared to drink the Kool-Aide!

So at least once a week someone posts wanting to know how to lose weight and/or build muscle. Every week Blarg or myself or Rduke or AZK tells them to buy one of these:

As far as I know, gorie is the only one who's listened. How's it going gorie?

Anyway, I just started using the kettlebells about a month and a half ago. I've always been all about functional strength. I like to have a body that works for what I want it to when I want it to. I really didn't give two [censored] about six-pack abs for spring break or that kind of thing. Funny though, this morning I happened to glance in the mirror and wtf? For the first time in years I definitely have a six-pack beginning to show. And I've somehow gotten it from doing no specific abwork at all. Another things is that all my nagging little back aches, shoulder twinges, etc. are gone. All I've been doing is kettlebell swings, overhead presses and Hindu squats. That's it. Here's what I'm currently doing:

10 two-handed kettlebell swings
30 sec. rest
5 one-handed overhead presses
30 sec. rest
20 Hindu squats
60 sec. rest.

That's it. The whole thing. I'm up to eight circuits, four days a week. The whole workout takes well under 30 minutes. When I get to 10 circuits, I intend to switch to one handed swings, and increase the weight one increment as I have one of the adjustable kettlebells from U.S. kettlebells. When I've get back up to 5 circuits, I'll replace swings twice a week with snatches. Then I'll start incrementally adding in other movements. Anyway, that's my plan. I hope Blarg and some of the others will post here what they're doing as well.

Funny things about kettlebells too is that after a workout, I don't really feel overly fatigued, and while I realize I haven't been at them all that long, they're not boring. Even on my scheduled nights off I catch myself looking over at the corner thinking maybe I'll go try a set of something. Windmills, or Turkish Get Ups, or something else that I'd like to incorporate into my workout at some point. The point is I don't dread a workout.

Anyway, the point of all this was to share and encourage anyone looking to drop a few pounds of fat, or put on some muscle to get one of these damn things. Don't buy a Bowflex. Don't buy a Elliptical trainer. These things are way cheaper than either of those and more fun.

So aside from the kettlebell itself, what do you need? I don't have either of these, but the consensus opinion seems to be that these are a good place to start:
Instructional DVD
Instructional Book

Other Links:
Dragon Door Kettlebell FAQ -- Start Here
Dragon Door Forum
U.S. Kettlebells
A Beginners Course in .pdf format
More Good Beginners Articles in .pdf

I'm sure Blarg and others will have differing opinions on some things and have things to add.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:53 AM

Default Re: *OFFICIAL* 00T Kettlebell Thread -- Drink the Kool-Aide!

These are the bomb diggity.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:56 AM

I have an employee who swears by them.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These are the bomb diggity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you used them long? What kind of routine?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:33 AM

I think a trip report from Gorie is mandatory.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:24 AM

OK, I'm sold. I noticed though that you had the dragondoor instructional dvd linked. I think I remember seeing some different dvd's being recommended over that one in some other threads. Any consensus on which is the best instructional dvd out there?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:40 AM

I've used them for maybe 6 months, after a trainer showed me how to. I'm mainly a runner, but I'll usually do a set or two of 5-6 different sets I know after a 6-10 mile run.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:40 AM

this can't possibly work for everyone, what's ur body type to start and ur metabolism? how much do u eat everyday?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I'm sold. I noticed though that you had the dragondoor instructional dvd linked. I think I remember seeing some different dvd's being recommended over that one in some other threads. Any consensus on which is the best instructional dvd out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

The one I linked is actually for women, but the people on the DD forum have said it does a better job of explaining the exercises in more detail than the RKC video. You may be talking about Steve Cotter's Kettlebell Encyclopedia, which I have and are very good, but imo went for breadth, trying to show every exercise, rather than explaining a few basic exercises well. I know Blarg has some of Cotter's other DVDs and likes them too though.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this can't possibly work for everyone, what's ur body type to start and ur metabolism? how much do u eat everyday?

[/ QUOTE ]

well of course the same program isn't right for everyone. i wasn't implying it was. first of all, it will depend what your goals are. i was just posting my own program to maybe inspire some discussion from others that are using them.

i eat what i want and haven't changed my eating habits at all, other than going on the wagon a little over a week ago. my diet is not what mnost consider healthy, a lot of fat and protein. few vegetables. i do try to limit sugar though. i rarely eat breakfast. i eat pretty normal lunch and dinner portions. i'm neither a glutton nor do i starve myself. i don't measure calories or anything so i really couldn't give you any detail on that. my metabolism is pretty slow and if i eat more than those two meals, i tend to start gaining weight.