Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Ancient Technology

Ive been reading about how ancient cultures (like the ones that built the great pyramid) had far more advanced technology than the technology we have today, such as planes, space travel, weapons of mass destruction, etc.

I think this is very plausible and I want to buy a book on this subject. Im trying to decide between "Technology of the Gods" or "Secrets of the Lost Races". I think im going with the 2nd one but i would like any opinions from anyone thats read these.

Also, id like to here any opinions or comments on this subject that you want to throw out there to discuss.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Ancient Technology

Ummm....what? A couple thousand slaves>space travel and the internet?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:28 PM

Why not just jump into a time machine and go back and see for yourself? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just jump into a time machine and go back and see for yourself? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be sweet.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:43 PM

So, no one thinks this is plausible? On a planet thats 4 billion years old we are the first civilization to invent this technology? Esp when there are so many things unexplained and undiscovered. Some disaster wipes out everything on earth and buries it under land and ocean, and civilization starts over.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:07 PM

Although it's very unlikely the ancients had anywhere near the kind of technology we now possess their are many secrets that have been lost in time thanks to events like the burning of the Library of Alexandria.
I read an interesting article about something found in Egypt that could possibly be a battery.
However I'm not exactly sure what they would use a battery for. The truth of the matter remains to be decided but i thought it was intersting nevertheless, I'll try and find the link...
Old 03-05-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, no one thinks this is plausible? On a planet thats 4 billion years old we are the first civilization to invent this technology? Esp when there are so many things unexplained and undiscovered. Some disaster wipes out everything on earth and buries it under land and ocean, and civilization starts over.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems at best highly unlikely. Wouldn't there at least be some signs of it left behind? (think Planet of the Apes where the talking doll is found... ) What kind of disaster are you picturing that eradicates all evidence of a prior civilization? And if this disaster happened... how does it do this without wiping out all life?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:41 PM

It would wipe out all life, or at least 99% of it. If a disaster like this happened today and only a few people were left on earth could you recreate this technology? Or would you be concerned with survival and be living a more primitive life. Wouldnt this technology be lost for thousands of years until someone rediscovers it. It would be passed down through stories and the stories would changed over many generations. If this disaster happens today and thousands of years from now someone reinvents this technology wouldnt a story of us having it sound unlikely?

Again i dont know much about this, i just read a little and thought it was very interesting.I just wanted to bring it up and see what others thought. It could very well be highly unlikely.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive been reading about how ancient cultures (like the ones that built the great pyramid) had far more advanced technology than the technology we have today, such as planes, space travel, weapons of mass destruction, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just to be clear, are we assuming here that the civilization that built the pyramids is the same one that stuck their mummified Pharoes inside them and left hieroglyphs all over Egypt? I just want to know how far out we're prepared to get, here.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would wipe out all life, or at least 99% of it. If a disaster like this happened today and only a few people were left on earth could you recreate this technology? Or would you be concerned with survival and be living a more primitive life. Wouldnt this technology be lost for thousands of years until someone rediscovers it. It would be passed down through stories and the stories would changed over many generations. If this disaster happens today and thousands of years from now someone reinvents this technology wouldnt a story of us having it sound unlikely?

Again i dont know much about this, i just read a little and thought it was very interesting.I just wanted to bring it up and see what others thought. It could very well be highly unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's pretend this happened. We once had the technology for space travel and planes and lost it. That would imply a civilization that could create metals, electronics, advanced chemistry, etc. This likely implies cities and such. So... what is this disaster that not only wipes out life but all signs of the civilization? We have found pyramids and all that they buried. Shouldn't we find remnants of technologies from this previous civilization? Advanced forged metals? Circuits? Plastics?

We have articificial materials now that probably would remain on the earth for a few 100K years. Its pretty hard for an advanced civilization with the technologies you suggest to simply disappear UNLESS the entire earth turned into a molten ball again eradicating all signs of what rested upon it (including all life).