Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Default This is crazy to me...

I just finished a conversation with a few individuals in a chat room about playing poker for a living.

It's absolutely insane to me how the average person that knows what the game of poker is, and has played it on occasion, has absolutely no concept or grasp on how possible it is to actually make a living off of it.

I've explained the concept of bankroll management, and probability in poker to people so many times that I can't count them, and by the end of the conversation it seems as if they still either cannot understand the points I have made, or simply refuse to agree with me, no matter how logical I might be.

Even the ones that aren't hostile toward my ambition to play poker for a living have a condescending tone to their closing statements.

It's like the media negativity about gambling has fueled these false ideas about poker for so long that they literally believe it to be impossible to make a living off of.

It does not really bother me too much, because I remember when I first heard about people playing poker for a living, I didn't think it was possible either. Eventually of course after viewing the results some of my friends were experiencing in their poker careers, I looked a little bit deeper into the subject.

It's aboslutely crazy to me what a small percentage of our population understands how its possible to generate income playing poker. I hope it stays that way, because I really dont need any more competition [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I almost feel like I have a hidden advantage over everyone else in the world because my career is so non-understood and looked down upon. I think its great.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: This is crazy to me...

1- Stop educating the fishies about how to win...
2- Start educating the fishies about how to deposit more...
3- ?????
4- Profit!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:28 AM

I usually say this: "Imagine we are flipping coins. Heads and I win $5.25. Tails, you win $4.75. That's poker. If you can flip 2,000 times a day, it's a decent living."
Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually say this: "Imagine we are flipping coins. Heads and I win $5.25. Tails, you win $4.75. That's poker. If you can flip 2,000 times a day, it's a decent living."

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes absolutely no sense at all. Are you inferring that anyone can turn a profit playing poker and that they will always come out on the winning end in the end if they "flip" enough coins? Because I would say it's like this:

1% of all online players are actually making a profit while 99% are saying they are but are really not. After all, we all know everyone online is winning and there are no losers.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes absolutely no sense at all. Are you inferring that anyone can turn a profit playing poker and that they will always come out on the winning end in the end if they "flip" enough coins? Because I would say it's like this:

1% of all online players are actually making a profit while 99% are saying they are but are really not. After all, we all know everyone online is winning and there are no losers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't see why that's a perfectly reasonable (albeit basic) explanation of poker, you need to browse 2+2 a little harder.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 AM

No, i believe the reason its 5.25 vs 4.75 on a 50% is because you have an edge... if you have the edge its no longer gambling its working.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LBK is going for a second straight "most consistently terrible posts" day today. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:02 PM

OP, do you play live poker for a living or something? Just the overall tone of your post you sound like a fish. Obv could be wrong but thats how it came across.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished a conversation with a few individuals in a chat room about playing poker for a living.

It's absolutely insane to me how the average person that knows what the game of poker is, and has played it on occasion, has absolutely no concept or grasp on how possible it is to actually make a living off of it.

I've explained the concept of bankroll management, and probability in poker to people so many times that I can't count them, and by the end of the conversation it seems as if they still either cannot understand the points I have made, or simply refuse to agree with me, no matter how logical I might be.

Even the ones that aren't hostile toward my ambition to play poker for a living have a condescending tone to their closing statements.

It's like the media negativity about gambling has fueled these false ideas about poker for so long that they literally believe it to be impossible to make a living off of.

It does not really bother me too much, because I remember when I first heard about people playing poker for a living, I didn't think it was possible either. Eventually of course after viewing the results some of my friends were experiencing in their poker careers, I looked a little bit deeper into the subject.

It's aboslutely crazy to me what a small percentage of our population understands how its possible to generate income playing poker. I hope it stays that way, because I really dont need any more competition [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I almost feel like I have a hidden advantage over everyone else in the world because my career is so non-understood and looked down upon. I think its great.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read 2+2 these days, I kinda feel like I did when I watched Godfather III. Pretty sad.

TSP
Old 04-13-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: This is crazy to me... *DELETED*

Post deleted by Ryan Beal